Wheat Harvest! with photo

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I had to work in Cridersville, OH on Wednesday. I stopped at the only bank in town (Chase). They had no halves but I did ask for $10 in cents. Two of the rolls had writing on them "Wheat Pennies". (you gotta love rolls with writing). In the car I opened one roll and it was solid wheats. I went back into the bank and asked if they had any other rolls the look liked them. They had none. I went to work, and brought the rolls home for Tanner. He got a kick out of them. We ended up with 30 common wheats from the 1940's. 51 wheats from the 1950's. We also ended up with 4 from the 20's and 9 from the 30's. 2 steal cents, and a couple of "s" cents.

The best part was the 1943 s and the 1949 s, these were the last 2 wheats we needed to complete Book 2 of our found in the wild collection. :hello2:
None of the other cents filled any holes in Book 1.
The teller had two tray of cents one all plastic and one all paper customer wrapped rolls. I chose the paper wrapped rolls and scored.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Attachments

• wheat harvest.JPG
    wheat harvest.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0
Id'a chosen the paper ones too, nice work! I love finding solid rolls of wheats :headbang:

Sweet finds, I'm only missing the 43s for book two- got a dozen crh steel cents, but they've all been p or d

HH
-GC

I've filled many book 2's, but I do a LOT of cents. I actually have one more 1943S than 1943D for some reason. I've found 16 of the 1943D and 17 of the 1943S. (And 137 of the 1943) Most of the 1943 plain were years ago when I was metal detecting. A woman walked up to me and talked to me about what I was doing. I said I was finding some old mercury dimes in that area, since a carnival for the local church was held on those grounds every year way back in the beginning of the century. Told her how excited I was to find old coins, even if not worth a lot. Just the thrill of old coins. She left and came back about 20 minutes later. Asked if I would buy some pennies from her. $10 worth (About all she could carry! HA) I gave her a ten dollar bill and thanked her. I went through them later. they were all wheats. 100% of them. She went and got part of her old wheat collection and gave them to me. Included were two rolls of 1943, which of course is 100 1943 cents. Most were plain, with a smattering of D and S. I was very excited, to say the least. :-) tat's why I have so many steelies though.

Cridersville! I know that town! Good score!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back