Wheat, wheat and more wheats

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug close to 100 wheats in an area 30 yards by 30, with only one silver at an old field in Pa. Other areas outside only producing clad. Most wheats are a good 6 inch down but all quarters are 2 inch or less dimes are also shallow. With so many wheats in the 40's my area must have been hit a few times clearing most of the silver out. Hopefully I can find a few remaining around. Frustrating.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Just remember, anything you pull out of the ground are great finds missedshed...

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dug close to 100 wheats in an area 30 yards by 30, with only one silver at an old field in Pa. Other areas outside only producing clad. Most wheats are a good 6 inch down but all quarters are 2 inch or less dimes are also shallow. With so many wheats in the 40's my area must have been hit a few times clearing most of the silver out. Hopefully I can find a few remaining around. Frustrating.

You should be happy with the wheats anyways, I've only found five of them.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get excited with anything I dig... but then again I didn't get many presents as a kid either. LOL!

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
missedshed, I have run into areas like that before too, Im digging a lot of wheats and its early year ones and find no silver. Makes you wonder did someone just come through cherry picking the silver tones? Probably so, I do know a lot of older hunters that have been detecting for 30 and 40 years that will absolutely clean the silver out of an area and not even bother with the pennys. Even when im exhausted and burning up from the heat and I know its a penny I cant pass it up because im always thinking what if it is a 1909 s-vdb or a 1914 d....lol.

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have run into sites like that too. Always thought that next smooth signal would be a silver coin......sometimes an area just didn't get many coins lost as (at the time) it was easy to pick up any coin dropped (shiny) coins could be retrieved.....most folks leave a penny for whatever reason.
Myself, if I dropped a dime into a urinal, I'd take 50c out of my pocket and toss it in..............I'd never reach in there for ten cents! LOL

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Penny's unless nice shiny and bright go un-noticed unlike silver that stands out and was easy picking in the day , if your hitting wheat's you have a good chance of hitting silver, use Pro zero without any discrimination some members claim lowering the ground balance down 5 -10 promotes silver readings and some say raising it up 5 points helps find gold better, try it and see what works for you, use Max on sensitively if possible and listen for those deep tones.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Penny's unless nice shiny and bright go un-noticed unlike silver that stands out and was easy picking in the day , if your hitting wheat's you have a good chance of hitting silver, use Pro zero without any discrimination some members claim lowering the ground balance down 5 -10 promotes silver readings and some say raising it up 5 points helps find gold better, try it and see what works for you, use Max on sensitively if possible and listen for those deep tones.
Great advice!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread