What's new

Wheatie surpise!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
5,669
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

Schools canceled again, went to banks around town. Some were closed due to the bad weather or their parking lots were still snowed in. I went to one that normally doesn't have much, so I bought everything they would give me, which included pennies, dimes and nickels. I normally don't get penny's but I'm glad i was forced to ($50 brinks). 46 total wheats, including 1919s, 1925s (first crh'ing), some old canadians, two uncirculated 1958D wheats, and a 1942 wheat error! It is either a strike through or split planchet. Look at the R in trust and see that it is over the anomaly. Also got a dateless buff from the $20 in nickels...nothing in the dimes.

HH
-GC
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3176.webp
    IMG_3176.webp
    30.9 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_3178.webp
    IMG_3178.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_3179.webp
    IMG_3179.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 471
Upvote 0
Nice finds, the 42 wheatie is an error, it is called a lamination error. Pretty common in wheaties, you have some folks who try to make complete date and mintmark collections of those, just like the BIE errors.
 
Sweet score!!! :thumbsup:
 
WOW! What a surprise! I'm still waiting on my Wheatie surprise to come my direction.

-Codes
 
A buff from only $20 in nickels!

Mad good finds!

Some people have all the luck.

~Dave
 
wayne1956 said:
Nice finds, the 42 wheatie is an error, it is called a lamination error. Pretty common in wheaties, you have some folks who try to make complete date and mintmark collections of those, just like the BIE errors.

It seems odd to see a coloration difference on a circulated coin after 66 years. this 42 your saying is a lamination error does not look like a error to me but like someone scratched it.

daveg13 said:
goldencoin said:
.....two uncirculated 1958D wheats.....

If you pulled it from circulation, it's not uncirculated. :wink:


Still a very nice mint state coin.

Mojo
 
It would if the lamination has completely peeled from the coin. I used to collect lamination errors as a kid, and have had both types, and it does look like the lamination has peeled off. I am not 100% convinced that is a lamination, but I am 90% convinced.
 
although the picture does not show it, it is indeed underneath the design. If you look at the R in trust, you can see that it is not a scratch. Possibly, some sort of metalic impurity (different oxidation coloration) is the reason to blame for both the lamination and the discoloration

HH
-GC
 
I was thinking about it, I have a 1923s Lincoln that has the same thing. I am at work and this is a pic from my collection so that's why its kinda small. It has the same discoloration. It kinda looks like gold was scraped across it.
 

Attachments

  • 1923s.webp
    1923s.webp
    2.7 KB · Views: 251
Super finds! Happy Holidays!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom