WHEEL WEIGHTS

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i thought all wheel weights were lead??? today on a walk i saw a nice big one, grabbed it, but its extremely magnetic. i know steel is the only magnetic metal, so it has to be steel/iron based. and i checked, i know the clip part is made of steel even on the lead ones, but the magnet is definitely attracted to the whole thing...anyone else ever find these made of steel?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Lead is just an evil metal don't ya know? Environmental concerns etc, a couple States have totally banned lead wheel weights. A shame, its good lead to start with for casting bullets. :icon_thumright:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I was told that many weights are steel these days due to cost.

Seems that the Chinese have run up the price of lead so they can use it in leaded paint for children's toys, and cheap jewelry for kids.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
clovis97 said:

Seems that the Chinese have run up the price of lead so they can use it in leaded paint for children's toys, and cheap jewelry for kids.

Washington state just made then absolute buy changing the Laws also this year!!! so now the have to be made of other metals than Lead!!!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
clovis97 said:

Washington state just made then absolute buy changing the Laws also this year!!! so now the have to be made of other metals than Lead!!!

That and their 10+% sales tax sucked while we spent 20 years in that fine state...... ::)

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine and myself have been gathering buckets of lead wheel weights for 3-4 years now. We melt the lead and mold 1 lb ingots for later use. I had worked at a tire shop so we got a pretty good stockpile for casting. They are replacing the lead wheel weights, shotgun shot, sinkers, etc.....But lead will always be around. Go to a recycler and offer to buy their lead. :thumbsup:

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
sucks that they are replacing it with steel or other such things.

Chainchomp, iron is not the only element that is magnetic. For one Nickel is magnetic as well (some older canadian coins are almost pure nickel).

but they'd be stupid to make wheel weights out of nickel :)

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I had several hundred pounds of wheel weights . Melted them down about 9 lbs at a time in an old
cast iron skillet with a pouring lip cast into the side .
Fluxed each batch with a few drops of motor oil and skimmed dross . All non lead clips float to the top and skim right off . Pour cleaned molten lead into 12oz beer cans . The cans peel right off when you want to use/sell that clean , shiny , unoxodized lead .
Only want to use a small amount : bandsaw or handsaw off what you need .

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
The new choice is zinc . They become obvious when you begin to melt them . The lead starts to melt while the zinc just sits there . A way of telling . Take a weight KNOWN to be lead and drop it from about a foot onto concrete . Listen to it . There will be a dull thud . A zinc weight dropped onto concrete from the same height will make a "ringing" sound . Also lead will respond to a file while zinc is much harder .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread