What's new

Wheels? Pulleys? Cogs? - Crank telephone magneto gears

DCMatt

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
10,485
Reaction score
13,791
Golden Thread
0
Location
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We hunted an historic property on the south side of the James River (VA) on the weekend. The property records go back to the 1630's. These items, obviously, aren't that old, but I can't figure them out. I found two of them, almost identical, about a mile apart (separate home sites). Another slightly smaller one was also found on the property.

They appear to be copper. No markings. No threads. No visible signs of wear.

whatsit1.webp

whatsit2.webp

whatsit3.webp

whatsit4.webp

Any thoughts?

DCMatt
 
Tony in SC made a great ID on this relic. Well done :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Wheels? Pulleys? Cogs?

Tony in SC said:
They are too light and the teeth are too fine to hve been on an engine. I have seen gears like that on the old crank telephone magnetos. The large gear would spin a very small gear very fast to get the voltage to power the phone. I'll try to get a pic if I have time. Tony
Great ID Tony.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom