What's new

When buying a used Excal...

Heavy32

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
26
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
Been looking into buy a second hand Excal 1000. I know there is always a certain amount of risk that goes along with buying used. Just wanted to see if there were any specific questions I should ask or any tell-tell signs I should be looking for. Looking at this one on CL that was bought in 98 and is going for $650.00... does that sound about right? Also where is a good place to pickup a straight shaft? Thanks, Heavy
 

Attachments

  • Excal.webp
    Excal.webp
    17 KB · Views: 123
  • Excal 1.webp
    Excal 1.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0
650,- for a 14 year old Excal seems too much. It's one of the old models with the sword decal on the side. I think they originally had a coil the shape of a horseshoe. And with the grey cables it looks like the original coil and cables have been replaced by someone. I read somewhere Minelab wouldn't fix this model anymore if you needed repairs. There probably are people who still can repair this machine but I wouldn't buy it. For 650,- you'll find a more modern one. This one I would pay 200,- for maybe. But that's just my opinion and I'm no expert at all.
Others here will help with their advice I'm sure.
You can easily make a straight shaft yourself, browse through older posts here on T-Net. Good luck!
 
650,- for a 14 year old Excal seems too much. It's one of the old models with the sword decal on the side. I think they originally had a coil the shape of a horseshoe. And with the grey cables it looks like the original coil and cables have been replaced by someone. I read somewhere Minelab wouldn't fix this model anymore if you needed repairs. There probably are people who still can repair this machine but I wouldn't buy it. For 650,- you'll find a more modern one. This one I would pay 200,- for maybe. But that's just my opinion and I'm no expert at all.
Others here will help with their advice I'm sure.
You can easily make a straight shaft yourself, browse through older posts here on T-Net. Good luck!

This is too much to take a gamble on.
 
The excalibur is not dead but the first problem is sealing (waterproofing)
 
Too much money for one that old, although the sword was a very good model, judging from the pictures unless you know the seller real good I would not pay that much for it. I wouldn't pay more than $400 for it as you will need to spend money on it to get all seals replaced.

ML will work on it as long as they have the parts, if ML want, there are several members here who do work on them.
 
Way too much $$$ for a model that old.

Age aside, the warning signs I would look for would be:
1 - non-factory coil
2 - non-factory headphones
3 - non-factory batteries.

I know a lot of people "upgrade" thier machines, but this is a water detector. If they botched the job, you can have a 100% dead detector the first time you wade into the water.
 
Way too much $$$ for a model that old.

Age aside, the warning signs I would look for would be:
1 - non-factory coil
2 - non-factory headphones
3 - non-factory batteries.

I know a lot of people "upgrade" thier machines, but this is a water detector. If they botched the job, you can have a 100% dead detector the first time you wade into the water.

Correct, with the mods done on it you want to know who your buying it from so you know it was done correctly, or know someone who can check it out ahead of time.
.
 
Thanks for all the info. Glad I didnt jump the gun on this one. While I'm here, what is the difference between the Excal 1000 and the Excal II? Does the II give you anything the 1000 doesnt?
 
Depends on the age and condition of the unit. Remembering that some are NOT able to be repaired By Minelab due to parts availbilty. You may be able to find someone to fix an older unit. But rememberiung again some parts are proprietary and can't be had! The best advice is only buy it if you can hold and see it. You have no clue how it was cared for in a photo. Not washing off each use with soap and water will lead to problems. IMHO
 
Thanks for all the info. Glad I didnt jump the gun on this one. While I'm here, what is the difference between the Excal 1000 and the Excal II? Does the II give you anything the 1000 doesnt?

To clarify terms for you, there are two "sizes" of excal, since the coils are hardwired. There is the 1000, a ten inch coil and the 800 with an 8 inch coil. The excal / excal II denotes a change in the base model. So there are excal 800 / 1000 AND excal II 800 / 1000.

What was changed? I don't know. I have heard from many long-time users that they are the same except for a decal. Some users prefer the older excal as the excal II seems to have (or had) some QC issues. I bought my excal 800 used, so I haven't compared it to a "II" model.
 
There's a nice 2-month old Excal with extras on ebay right now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom