When dealer gives me a Lemon, I made Lemonade

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I went into a coin dealer here in town a few weeks ago to pick up some 2x2 coin holders. While I was waiting, I was going through his bargin bin. I found this awesome 2 cent coin from 1864, it had been cleaned so it went into the bargin bin. However, I was unable to let this piece of history sit in the "bargin bin"! The coin is VF in details but was marked as fine because of the cleaning. I was able to slip the dealer $10.00 and out I went with the bargin bin coin.

I got on the net and ordered a bezel for it. I added a silver rope I had found about a month ago and here is the finished project. Lots of people ask what kind of coin that is when I wear it and I am able to teach them a little history about it.

2007_0305Image0009.jpg

Upvote 0
TXTim said:
That is pretty!

OK-

So what if you unearth a lump of a coin with barnacles, etc. on it. If you don't clean it, you don't know what it is. What is the big deal about cleaning a coin if you don't know what it is in the first place?
I'll admit I know very little or nothing about coin collecting and grading.

Once it gets to that point...Then go right ahead and clean it LOL

looks great... thanks for the stocking stuffer idea.. my son is an avid coin collector at 6 - great place for some of his finds.

thanks

Looks good,

Nice 2 center

HH Jer

I love that idea Trooper!!!

Looks GREAT!

Nana :)

Stormtrooper154 said:
I went into a coin dealer here in town a few weeks ago to pick up some 2x2 coin holders. While I was waiting, I was going through his bargin bin. I found this awesome 2 cent coin from 1864, it had been cleaned so it went into the bargin bin. However, I was unable to let this piece of history sit in the "bargin bin"! The coin is VF in details but was marked as fine because of the cleaning. I was able to slip the dealer $10.00 and out I went with the bargin bin coin.

I got on the net and ordered a bezel for it. I added a silver rope I had found about a month ago and here is the finished project. Lots of people ask what kind of coin that is when I wear it and I am able to teach them a little history about it.

2007_0305Image0009.jpg

Hey if it's only worth a ten spot why don't you silver or gold plate it to make it worth more and then wear it. They coin guys and MDers will look at it and say, "WHAT DID YOU DO TO THAT BEAUTIFUL COIN!"

Skrimpy said:
Hey if it's only worth a ten spot why don't you silver or gold plate it to make it worth more and then wear it. They coin guys and MDers will look at it and say, "WHAT DID YOU DO TO THAT BEAUTIFUL COIN!"

I wanted to save the coins historical value. Gold or Silver plating it wouldn't really help its historical value ;D

That's a really cool idea and it came out great!

I found dat same year! Gotta love the feel of a two-center around your neck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back