When using a probe how do you know if you hit a bottle and not a rock?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really want to do a lot of bottle digging this year. I have found 4 bottle dumps last year that have been dug down about 1 1/2 - 2 feet. I want to dig deeper and see what else in hiding in them. I want to get a 5' or 6' probe, but I was wondering how do you know if your hitting glass? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :icon_pirat:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 10 inch brass rod on a golf ball,you can "feel" the "ping" of glass verses the "chunk" of a rock.I know its not the same as 5 feet but Im shooting in the dark that its probably the same sensation.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
EDDE's brass rod might be safest, but I've know fellows who used a CB radio antenna... the long stainless ones that screw into a coil spring base.

and as he said, a rock will thunk, or at least give a lower tone than glass.

Kinda like using a MD... experience gets the trove!

Best
rmptr

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
You might want to go to http://privydigger.com/

Here you can find all the possible info you want on bottle digging, sort of how to build a cleaning machine, as well as Eddie and Crew's last 6 years of digging stories. He's also got links to 2 guys that make bottle probes like you're talking about, as well as a super informative ebook that he wrote on privy digging.

If you have an actual bottle probe, you'll be able to tell by the sound. A bottle probe will let you hear the crunch if you break through one or the shards of one, and a rock should leave a little bit of dust or chips on the end of the probe.

If you're planning on getting into bottle digging, I would definitely recommend you get Eddie's Privy Digging Handbook though, it's well worth the information even if you just wind up accidentally finding one with a couple buddies!

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Nu2Poo

Oct 4, 2007
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whites Xlt w/ Bullseye pinpointer
Hi Treasure fiend
Nice to read about your continued interest in bottle digging. It is most addictive. There is a definite difference between hitting glass and anything else in the ground. The trick is to hit it, identify it and not continue pushing your probe to keep from breaking any other glass. I have been on digs where we unearth bottles with 2 holes thru the bottle. 1 entrance and 1 exit wound so to speak. Glass will actually snap and you can feel it in your probe handle. With the probes advertised on Eddie's privy pages, they are built with a tip that will actually pull a small sample back up with it which can tell a lot to what is down there. When you encounter an obstruction down in the ground you will learn to get a feel for what it may be. If it were brick, you tip will have red residue on it. If it were stone, the tip may have white residue on it. I also will most certainly would recommend www.privydigger.com
I have been digging with Eddy for the last 4 years and the book he wrote will teach you what years of digging has taught him. Not bad for 10 to 15 bucks spent. You can also learn how to build you own probe. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance

Bottleviking

Mar 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whatever nu2poo loans me
Thanks for the referral guys. With a steel probe with hollow handles, coming against an obstruction with the tip, carefully, without pressing down, wiggle the handle back and forth in just the smallest amount (1/2 to 1 inch) while holding your ear down near the handle and you will hear tiny squeaking if you are against glass, and will actually be able to feel how smooth the object is your tip is against. You need at least a foot (or more) of probe still sticking out of the ground to make it work. If your handle is within inches of the ground it is hard to get the back and forth wiggle action working right. The tip only has to move a tiny fraction of an inch against the glass to get the squeak and feel of the glass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread