When your favorite find of the day is a marble...

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It means either your detected finds weren't that satisfying, or the marble was pretty cool. Today it is the latter.

Porcelain Marble 042124.jpg

This came up in the dirt today. It is porcelain and reminds me of a Bennington, but doesn't have the typical Bennington look. Love finding these older marbles. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable of marbles could help identify.

Marbles 042124.jpg

Actually it was one of three. The bright green one is a nice swirl. Unfortunately it has a pretty noticeable ding in it.

Coins Obverse 042124.jpg Coins reverse 042124.jpg

Some of the better coins today. Includes another shield nickel. It is my fifth shield nickel this year, and I believe the fourth 1867.

Wheatbacks 042124.jpg

And the more ordinary coins.

Whatsits 042124.jpg

Some more unusual items. A suspender clasp. An Avon miniature lipstick (pink blossom). And an item I'm not sure about. Copper or brass with a heart design. It has a foldover clasp on back, so doesn't appear to be a pendant. Maybe an old book marker? But then why the chain?

Sterling Ring 042124.jpg

And finally a tiny, adjustable, kid's ring w/heart. It is stamped sterling inside.

Today's finds...

1867 Shield Nickel no-rays
1898 Indian Head Penny
1900 Indian Head Penny
(7) Wheatback pennies 1916, 1942, 1942-D,1944-D, 1951-D, 1953-D, 1956-D
1951 Canadian cent
196-D Silver Rosie
(3) Marbles, one porcelain, one green swirl, one green cleary
Brass suspender clasp
Avon Lipstick, pink blossom
Heart clasp
Child's adjustable ring, sterling silver

PBS

Upvote 12

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
The marble is a "Fancy Bennngton." They are less common than the plain brown and plain blue types. There are some pink Benningtons and green Benningtons out there as well, which are HTF. All of these marbles were made in Germany and have nothing to do with Bennington, VT or Bennington Pottery, which has similar looking glaze.

The green marble falls into the "slag" category. Manufacturers of slags include Akro, M.F. Christensen, Christensen Agate, and Peltier Glass. Slags are famously difficult to sort by manufacturer, but Akro made the largest quantity of slags by far, so it's usually a good guess.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very productive hunt, liking the marble as well.
The avon tube looks like a sample tube that they produced in the 1930's.
Been making lipstick since 1910

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The marble is a "Fancy Bennngton." They are less common than the plain brown and plain blue types. There are some pink Benningtons and green Benningtons out there as well, which are HTF. All of these marbles were made in Germany and have nothing to do with Bennington, VT or Bennington Pottery, which has similar looking glaze.

The green marble falls into the "slag" category. Manufacturers of slags include Akro, M.F. Christensen, Christensen Agate, and Peltier Glass. Slags are famously difficult to sort by manufacturer, but Akro made the largest quantity of slags by far, so it's usually a good guess.
Thank you! Appreciate the help in identification.

PBS

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It means either your detected finds weren't that satisfying, or the marble was pretty cool. Today it is the latter.

View attachment 2144813

This came up in the dirt today. It is porcelain and reminds me of a Bennington, but doesn't have the typical Bennington look. Love finding these older marbles. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable of marbles could help identify.

View attachment 2144815

Actually it was one of three. The bright green one is a nice swirl. Unfortunately it has a pretty noticeable ding in it.

View attachment 2144816 View attachment 2144817

Some of the better coins today. Includes another shield nickel. It is my fifth shield nickel this year, and I believe the fourth 1867.

View attachment 2144818

And the more ordinary coins.

View attachment 2144819

Some more unusual items. A suspender clasp. An Avon miniature lipstick (pink blossom). And an item I'm not sure about. Copper or brass with a heart design. It has a foldover clasp on back, so doesn't appear to be a pendant. Maybe an old book marker? But then why the chain?

View attachment 2144821

And finally a tiny, adjustable, kid's ring w/heart. It is stamped sterling inside.

Today's finds...

1867 Shield Nickel no-rays
1898 Indian Head Penny
1900 Indian Head Penny
(7) Wheatback pennies 1916, 1942, 1942-D,1944-D, 1951-D, 1953-D, 1956-D
1951 Canadian cent
196-D Silver Rosie
(3) Marbles, one porcelain, one green swirl, one green cleary
Brass suspender clasp
Avon Lipstick, pink blossom
Heart clasp
Child's adjustable ring, sterling silver