sabre15
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Dec 14, 2008
- Messages
- 451
- Reaction score
- 24
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Tampa Bay Florida
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
- #1
Thread Owner
Wher do these "Legends" come from? Treasurelore?
I have decided to look at this from a sarcastic point of view as many of our naysayers believe most treasure does not exist. I want to here what everybody thinks and how they think some of these "Legends" get started. I am going to give a couple examples, please feel free to prove them right or wrong, I have done some research and cannot find anything that would lead me to believe these stories exist.
I wan't to know where people get the information, library, word of mouth, internet, what is the most accurrate way. Here are the stories to start this thread:
The first one by the way I have found that they were British men by way of the Bahamas and hung in 1818
no mention of barrells of coins, just furs and other traded items.
• Eight barrels of English coins amounting to $100,000 were buried near present-day Cross City and State Road 19/98, by two Bahamian traders before they were hung by General Andrew Jackson for selling arms to the Seminole Indians in the 1830's. Reportedly this treasure was buried near the junction of two streams on the northern edge of the town
Steinhatchee River... Three Civil War treasures are buried along the Steinhatchee River, which empties into Dead Man Bay in Taylor County. A Confederate blockade-runner chased by a Union ship was scuttled at the mouth of the river. The crew buried $500,000 in silver close by. Another blockade-runner hiding near the mouth of the river buried $140,000 in gold coins when a Federal gunboat appeared. After the war, members of the crew returned to claim the money, but were unable to find the location because a flood had taken away the markers along the bank of the river. Union Soldiers buried a cache of gold coins five miles from the mouth of the river.
I have decided to look at this from a sarcastic point of view as many of our naysayers believe most treasure does not exist. I want to here what everybody thinks and how they think some of these "Legends" get started. I am going to give a couple examples, please feel free to prove them right or wrong, I have done some research and cannot find anything that would lead me to believe these stories exist.
I wan't to know where people get the information, library, word of mouth, internet, what is the most accurrate way. Here are the stories to start this thread:
The first one by the way I have found that they were British men by way of the Bahamas and hung in 1818
no mention of barrells of coins, just furs and other traded items.
• Eight barrels of English coins amounting to $100,000 were buried near present-day Cross City and State Road 19/98, by two Bahamian traders before they were hung by General Andrew Jackson for selling arms to the Seminole Indians in the 1830's. Reportedly this treasure was buried near the junction of two streams on the northern edge of the town
Steinhatchee River... Three Civil War treasures are buried along the Steinhatchee River, which empties into Dead Man Bay in Taylor County. A Confederate blockade-runner chased by a Union ship was scuttled at the mouth of the river. The crew buried $500,000 in silver close by. Another blockade-runner hiding near the mouth of the river buried $140,000 in gold coins when a Federal gunboat appeared. After the war, members of the crew returned to claim the money, but were unable to find the location because a flood had taken away the markers along the bank of the river. Union Soldiers buried a cache of gold coins five miles from the mouth of the river.
The human psyche wants so hard to believe in them, that we don't question the possible alternative explanations, and just believe the "he said she said" things as if they were fact.








