where can cobs be found In the uk

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had most from the U.S. but there's treasure wrecks all round the U.K. some of which are on/just off the beaches. Some contained cobs, others hammered silver.
Your going to need a good high power P.I. and a large spade and detecting is now limited to after storms or at extreme low tides as anything within easy reach has long gone.
One clue is to look for "Dollar" in the name of a bay or as a house name ie Dollar Cottage which was built with the wealth from one wreck or Dollar Cove.

Brian

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
Dimeman said:
strike it rich said:
Are cobs found only in the Usa or other areas

Do you want to find them with or without the corn on them??? :P
Hmm thats a hard one with and with a knob of butter

WhiteHunter

Dec 28, 2006
Hampshire
Detector(s) used
E-trac,X-Terra 70, Ace 250 with Sniper Coil, Sea Hunter MK2
there are many cobs around the UK you just have to know where to look beaches are you best chance

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cobs are coins that are produced quickly by cutting a sheet of metal into bits of equal weight then striking each piece between dies. The Spanish started this in 1570 and continued for around two hundred years. So you would have an irregular shaped coin that was of the correct weight and might be of copper, silver or gold.
Lots of them were lost along the east coast route of the Spanish treasure fleets around Florida as so many ships were lost.

R

robert roy

Thanks. Nice way to end the day...by learning something new! ;D

I don't think we'll be find many Cobs out here in the mid-west?

Regards
RObert R

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the best place for them BUT....the tribes along the coast made a point of looting the wrecked ships and they have always been used for jewellery they could be traded on and turn up anywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread