Loneprospector

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2018
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In the early 19th century of the pacific northwest there were a few trading posts, a few settlements but nothing like the 20th century. Also during this time there was a huge surge in population, commerce and exploration. I see lumber mills, mineral exploration and trading posts being the primary source for ones wealth.

I can understand a prospector trading the gold he found for supplies and survival. All the gold that was recovered had to go somewhere and I would like to know where and how. Who were the companies doing the assays? What companies bought up all the gold and where did it go? I've been through the HBC's archives and found lots of information on its employees and contractors, but nothing about its customers.

I want to know who the big contributors to our economy were that didn't make the history books. Honestly I'm at the point I feel like I'm grasping at straws. The stories and people I have been tracking don't have a lengthy paper trail like the people do from the 1860's and later. My fingers are crossed that there might be a record with one of these places that can help me on my journey of information gathering.

:icon_scratch:

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In these days gold was money and money was gold.

All major countries were on the gold standard, meaning currency was defined by a certain amount of gold, eg. one US Dollar was xy grains of gold.

Therefore, the the most gold went to the next governement assay office or mint. For the gold delivered you would get the equivalent amount of coinage (in most countries minus a very small amount for coinage costs) and leave the mint with cash in the pocket.

Greets Namxat

OP
OP
L

Loneprospector

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2018
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In these days gold was money and money was gold.

All major countries were on the gold standard, meaning currency was defined by a certain amount of gold, eg. one US Dollar was xy grains of gold.

Therefore, the the most gold went to the next governement assay office or mint. For the gold delivered you would get the equivalent amount of coinage (in most countries minus a very small amount for coinage costs) and leave the mint with cash in the pocket.

Greets Namxat

Thanks,

I am however not so much concerned with the value of gold though. Were the assay offices government ran? I have a pile of assay reports(over 1500) from the late 1800's to the early 1900's from the state I'm looking into, but can't find anything prior to 1888. From assay reports I can find exact location of the source, the company and names of individuals involved. The one HBC fort that did most of the trading with the individuals I'm researching closed in 1870. As for a mint, there hasn't been one in the pacific northwest that I have found. I have been to Universities, their libraries, local libraries, Native American archives as well as the state library. The best books I have found relating to my research was Marine History of the Pacific Northwest(1895) and History of the Pacific Northwest - Oregon and Washington(1889).

The place and people I am researching are in an area that wasn't controlled by the USA until 1846. The main character I'm looking into was a major player in the area from 1790-1845.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"where did all the gold go". It stayed right here, When the 49ers headed your way ,looking for More :) 001.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread