What's new

Where dio you....

boojababy

Full Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
222
Golden Thread
0
Location
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put the trash eliminater? I know how to set it to eliminate trash but I worry what if the "trash" is something good.
 
I set my detector discrimination at 6 out of 100 to just eliminate iron.

Detectors don't know trash from treasure. They only know ferrous (iron) from non-ferrous and after that it is just relative conductivity. Some trash (like most aluminum) is more conductive than gold.

I'd rather see and hear it all and make my decision to dig or not on how the target reacts. If I sweep from different directions and lift or lower the coil while swinging I will get a better idea if it is a wad of foil or bottlecap vs a coin.

If you aren't digging a lot of trash then you won't get a lot of jewelry.

By digging a lot of trash you also learn how your detector indicates it. That way, in an area with a lot of caps or pull-tabs you can be more selective in ignoring those readings. If they start to wear you out - THEN filter out a specific junk reading.

But, if you want a place to start. Bring along a nickle and set it on the ground, then tune the eliminator to just accept that with a solid hit. If you only want the really good coins - do it with a dime. BUT - remember - a clad dime IS junk compared to a silver one and your detector can't tell much difference. The coin shape is "hardwired" to be desirable in the circuitry used.
 
I set my detector discrimination at 6 out of 100 to just eliminate iron.

Detectors don't know trash from treasure. They only know ferrous (iron) from non-ferrous and after that it is just relative conductivity. Some trash (like most aluminum) is more conductive than gold.

I'd rather see and hear it all and make my decision to dig or not on how the target reacts. If I sweep from different directions and lift or lower the coil while swinging I will get a better idea if it is a wad of foil or bottlecap vs a coin.

If you aren't digging a lot of trash then you won't get a lot of jewelry.

By digging a lot of trash you also learn how your detector indicates it. That way, in an area with a lot of caps or pull-tabs you can be more selective in ignoring those readings. If they start to wear you out - THEN filter out a specific junk reading.

But, if you want a place to start. Bring along a nickle and set it on the ground, then tune the eliminator to just accept that with a solid hit. If you only want the really good coins - do it with a dime. BUT - remember - a clad dime IS junk compared to a silver one and your detector can't tell much difference. The coin shape is "hardwired" to be desirable in the circuitry used.

+ 1

Believe me, that scratchy mid tone can be a gold ring....

Chub
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom