Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be mistaken but I want to say Kansas is near the top of the list of states as far as percentage of privately owned land. I also think this applies to all rivers in kansas, I know it’s true of the one I’m near, that land owners own to the middle of the river so technically you shouldn’t be hunting gravel bars, but I really doubt that’s enforced much. If you have access somewhere, I’d check areas near streams, or springs, or rises in Fields, I try to look for places that are attractive now because they probably were in the past too. If in a woodsy area check for flakes in tree falls or bare slopes. If you have access to fields it’s a crap shoot but look for flakes, I’ve had luck finding stuff near little drainage cuts.

Fact check Ks is no 2
IMG_9058.jpeg

Last edited:

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Find a creek or field you want to walk and ask permission at the closest house. If they don’t own it they usually know who does. Remember hunting season so you might want to wait until it’s over before you ask. The best place to look in my area is a field close to a creek that flows year round. And a field where they don’t practice No TIL

Jatrox

Jan 22, 2024
Kansas
There are only 3 rivers in Kansas considered "navigable". The Missouri, Kansas (Kaw) and the Arkansas. Which means you can float or walk them legally. And even those you will encounter landowners who think they own to the center of the river, just move on. All other non-state or federal waterways are private, or county owned. County owned is a grey area. Private, get permission. Check the county GIS map for plat ownership before doing anything.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There you go I thought the kansas might be the exception, I don’t really think of the Missouri as in kansas but I suppose it counts, and didn’t know the Arkansas, I’m near the neosho and I know it’s to the center.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
M

Marino13

Sep 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be mistaken but I want to say Kansas is near the top of the list of states as far as percentage of privately owned land. I also think this applies to all rivers in kansas, I know it’s true of the one I’m near, that land owners own to the middle of the river so technically you shouldn’t be hunting gravel bars, but I really doubt that’s enforced much. If you have access somewhere, I’d check areas near streams, or springs, or rises in Fields, I try to look for places that are attractive now because they probably were in the past too. If in a woodsy area check for flakes in tree falls or bare slopes. If you have access to fields it’s a crap shoot but look for flakes, I’ve had luck finding stuff near little drainage cuts.

Fact check Ks is no 2
View attachment 2140427
Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread