What's new

Where my coins get re-cycled

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
Joined
May 16, 2007
Messages
2,494
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Where my coins get re-cycled

I get my boxes at one of the branches I bank with. At another branch of the same they were saving a bag they were filling. It got to $500 after about 1 ½ months. I picked it up and this is the tag it had on it. It looks like their coins go to Brinks in LA. I don’t know if they re-roll them or take them to a Fed Res. I dump at another bank. I am hoping the dumps go somewhere else. I do see some edge marks at times. I am wondering if I should mark some and see if I get them back.

BTW, I got 5 - 40% out of the bag. That is better than some of my boxes. I asked them to call when they get another.
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_012.webp
    ScreenHunter_012.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0
If you are going to dump in the same area that you buy more than likely they will end up at the distribution center you are getting your coins from. I suggest marking some and eventually after a while you will see them again.

I am not one to mark coins but did it on about 70-80 coins about 6-8 weeks ago to check my intuition.......just yesterday I had boxes with my marked coins in them.....all skunks! I was surprised at how fast I got them back. My stomach was in knots.

Good luck.
 
My guess is that somewhere there is a big bin of halves. When you dump at a bank your halves eventually get poured into this bin. They then make new rolls from the top of the bin and you get them back. Perhaps our ideal strategy would be to order as much as we can and sit on the waste coins for a bit.

-Brian
 
I don't know how all this works but I just got my second box today and both my boxes the rolls said BRINKS on them so I assume that BRINKS rolls the halves and delivers them. BTW second box was a skunkout- one coin of interest to me was a '71 with a hole in it sos I put it on a keyring. Gonna make a post for discussion about marking coins as at least half the coins in this box had one of two different markings. Hope Brian isn't right about the big bin as we would have to buy the whole thing to get to the silver on the bottom (thats been there since it was first dumped). Mark
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom