Where to find flint deposits

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
I live in the northeast (N.J). I don't recall ever seeing a flint deposit in my area. Is there a specific geological feature I should be looking for? Is flint that common? Most of the Native American artifacts from this area appear to be stone. I live close to an old Indian reservation (no longer active) and would like to hunt it. Not sure what to look for. Arrow heads made of flint? Most of what I have seen is made of stone, such as axe heads and implements. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Not sure how much geological experience you have, but if the stone tools are being made of flint/chert, then first, check for limestone in your area. If you have limestone, search the outcrops or streambeds/bedrock for veins/layers. You can also check with your state geological survey for a geological quadrangle map for your area.

Hope this helps.

Cavers5

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
Thanks for the reply Caver. Geological experience is 0. Hense the newbe question. I'm located about 40 miles from the coast in very sandy soil and not many geological features. The nothern part of the state would have more features that would benifit my search. We do have many streams with undercut banks where material has been found. Also along the rivers. I thank you for your suggestions. I suppose I should start my quest with a study of the local Indians. This may guide me as to what to look for. I do know the Tribes located along the coast used a lot of shell mateial for implements but wasn't sure if flint was available to them.

Thanks again for your guidence,

Jim

Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flint was 'traded', as were many things.
We had 'conch shell' from the Gulf of Mexico, 'copper ' from Michigan, 'crystal' from AR, all found in local mounds here in OK.

Fossis...........

Upvote 0

lordpiney

Aug 12, 2009
hey jim...living in jersey i can tell you that there aint much knappable material in our state. the nearest chert beds to us are in central pa, and that's glacial till chert. you can find black chert nodules along the delaware river north of trenton as well. i have a bunch of english flint nodules, that were found buried in canden years ago. they were british ships ballast stones from the revolutionary war. i can hook you up with one or two if you want some.

Upvote 0

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found foracre chert in the deserts of NV and NV obsidian in Osage County Oklahoma. they loved to trade materials.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread