What's new

Where to find flint knapping materials in Montana?

406Gold

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 11, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey everyone, hope you are doing well.

I am getting into flint knapping, and was curious if anyone knew of any areas in Montana I can find some material to go out and collect myself to do some knapping. I don't care of the material, I just can't keep ordering it off the internet.

Thanks in advance!
 
There is plenty of info if you run a search on chert locations in Montana.
 
I've never been to Montana, but... I'd just start hunting shallow creeks. Take a good sized billet and a bucket and test any rock that looks promising. Internet will surely guide you to the areas with flint. You'll probably find more agate to knap than flint though. I'd guess Montana has lots of good knapping stone. Gary
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom