Where to find the garbage

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an interesting question. I have right here a picture from 1950 of a farmhouse built sometime around 1850. This farmhouse was built on the site of a fort built in the 1770s. Where should I go looking for a garbage dump? The fort is right where the L shaped house is. The upper right hand corner of the picture is at the base of a hill. Also, if you see the little dark spot in the field to the right of the house, that is the well.

Attachments

• farmhouse.PNG
    farmhouse.PNG
    686 KB · Views: 47

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Here's an interesting question. I have right here a picture from 1950 of a farmhouse built sometime around 1850. This farmhouse was built on the site of a fort built in the 1770s. Where should I go looking for a garbage dump? The fort is right where the L shaped house is. The upper right hand corner of the picture is at the base of a hill. Also, if you see the little dark spot in the field to the right of the house, that is the well.
Here’s how I would start, based on limited knowledge. First, are there any ravines/gullies near by. Those are often filled in with dumps. Secondly, the smell of a dump is not pleasant. I would look down wind from the prevailing wind direction.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look downhill from the well. You wouldn't want your garbage dump above your water source the same as you wouldn't want your privy uphill of your well either.

EKG

Mar 19, 2017
From Germany but in South America at the moment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's where i would search marked yellow good luck and have fun

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 20

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be HARD for me to tel;l you. It would be BETTER IF I SHOWED YOU :) When do you want me to COME OVER heheheehhe I was just kidding ya ,. Good LUCK and please keep us informed !!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for indentations in the ground where people might have had a pit

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I threw my flintknapping debitage in a small ravine in my woods for a dozen yrs. It’s been 10yrs since I added any and now a half ton of flint has virtually disappeared under leaves that have now turned to soil. Ravines hide things very well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread