Where to get boxes of rolled coins?

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I went to 2 banks (unaffiliated with each other) in this area. I asked to buy a federal reserve box of rolled half dollars. They didnā€™t have any. I asked if I could order one; prepay if required. ā€œNoā€, they donā€™t do that.
I assumed each bank gets fed reserve shipments and this would be easy; wrong. Are you found this through mega-banks, or just regular, locally owned banks? Thanks

Upvote 0

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most banks don't get their coin from the Federal Reserve. They get it from one of the carriers (Brinks, Loomis, Garda, etc.). Typically, they put an order in each week for the coin (and paper money) they need for the week. When you go in and ask to buy a box, it takes that box out of their stock. If they don't keep "extra", then they have trouble supplying change to their business customers.
You asked for half dollars. Some banks are not willing to order half dollars because businesses don't want them, so there's no outlet for them, except those of us that search them. Keep in mind that the bank pays the carrier for delivery and pick up of coin and paper money, so if they order a box of halves for you, that is costing them money and it costs more if they have to return them.
I go through cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters each week. I do that by having a stock of them already and trading boxes. That way the bank's inventory doesn't change. It took a long time to build up to full boxes, but you can do it. Start out by asking to buy a few rolls and work up to a box, then approach them about just trading each time. It likely won't work for halves, but should for other denominations. Be honest about what you are doing and make sure each roll you trade in is accurate. I've been doing this since 1974, when I started with $5 in cents. Honesty and trust are your best friends. Now, the banks I trade with like my rolls because I guarantee they are all counted accurately and I've removed the foreign coins (except some Canadian). The business customers love them because they know they are accurate.
Bringing in candy for the tellers a couple times a year helps, too! Mine love York Peppermint Patties. I get the 175 count box from BJs.

Scott

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Most banks don't get their coin from the Federal Reserve. They get it from one of the carriers (Brinks, Loomis, Garda, etc.). Typically, they put an order in each week for the coin (and paper money) they need for the week. When you go in and ask to buy a box, it takes that box out of their stock. If they don't keep "extra", then they have trouble supplying change to their business customers.
You asked for half dollars. Some banks are not willing to order half dollars because businesses don't want them, so there's no outlet for them, except those of us that search them. Keep in mind that the bank pays the carrier for delivery and pick up of coin and paper money, so if they order a box of halves for you, that is costing them money and it costs more if they have to return them.
I go through cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters each week. I do that by having a stock of them already and trading boxes. That way the bank's inventory doesn't change. It took a long time to build up to full boxes, but you can do it. Start out by asking to buy a few rolls and work up to a box, then approach them about just trading each time. It likely won't work for halves, but should for other denominations. Be honest about what you are doing and make sure each roll you trade in is accurate. I've been doing this since 1974, when I started with $5 in cents. Honesty and trust are your best friends. Now, the banks I trade with like my rolls because I guarantee they are all counted accurately and I've removed the foreign coins (except some Canadian). The business customers love them because they know they are accurate.
Bringing in candy for the tellers a couple times a year helps, too! Mine love York Peppermint Patties. I get the 175 count box from BJs.

Scott
Makes sense. Thank you šŸ˜Š

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Scott
I've never had any trouble getting boxes of half dollars from my bank (for the past 4+ years) -- until this week.

I get a box of halves each week and Loomis supplies my bank. When I called on Wednesday to see if the box had arrived, the supervisor answered and said that Loomis didn't have any half dollar boxes and was unable to get any from the Federal Reserve (I assume in Boston).

I went to the bank today and asked if it had more information. I got the same story which makes no sense whatsoever because the only consumers of half dollars are coin roll hunters and there aren't so many of us that the gargantuan supply of half dollars sitting in Loomis / Brinks / the Fed would even notice it.

Someone is not telling the truth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread