What's new

Where would I sell silver coins?

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
226
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I just discovered that my gf has probably 100-150 silver coins that she rescued from the register at work. Mostly dimes but 20 something quarters, a Morgan and a few walkers...I was curious where people get them melted down.
 
While I won't tell you what to do or not do with them(melt them down comment). I would suggest ebay and list them pretty much as you just did. You'll get closer to retail than if you sell em to a dealer who will need to resell. That way you will also leave the discretionary choice to whoever buys it. Watch the prices of silver if you list it for 1 to 2 days when it is at a 3 day high you will get close to the going rate. I would list the dates and maybe even take a shot that shows each coin if there is one of extra value that you are unaware of the bidders will catch it and bid accordingly(theoretically).
 
Farscape said:
I just discovered that my gf has probably 100-150 silver coins that she rescued from the register at work. Mostly dimes but 20 something quarters, a Morgan and a few walkers...I was curious where people get them melted down.

Isn't melting US coinage a Felony? :help: :dontknow:
 
Silver and gold coins are always worth more than the actual value of the metal they are made from. Some are only 90% silver,but still worth more than its weight. For instance,a silver dollar is close to an ounce of silver,which is up and down recently,but whatever the going price is for an ounce of silver,a silver coin of that weight will be worth more. Also,check the dates,because some are worth far more if they are a low mintage and or in AU or higher. You can sell them on ebay,and even after paying the fee,you will still come out ahead of what you local coin shop will pay.They have to make a profit, and will pay about half or so of its redbook value,which is what they will sell it for.Good Luck. rockhound
 
As a charter member, you can always list them in T-net classifieds. :icon_thumleft:

Terry, silver is legal to melt, but not copper or nickle.

Either way, you wouldn't want to do it yourself (proving purity), a refiner would be the best bet.

ARA, Midwest, ect.
 
Sell them here just let us know what you want for them and then see if you get any takers....Matt
 
And I for one would be interested :thumbsup:
 
Farscape said:
I just discovered that my gf has probably 100-150 silver coins that she rescued from the register at work. Mostly dimes but 20 something quarters, a Morgan and a few walkers...I was curious where people get them melted down.

Go here to calculate the melt value for each denomination of your coins.

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html

Add the total and ask for at least 80% of the total spot price (if not more). Check the dates as well to see if you have any "key dates" that would be valued above the melt price.

Avoid unscrupulous coin dealers and pawn brokers.
 
I'm making a list right now of all I have of each coin and will post the totals shortly.
 
Not as much silver as I had thought, some buffalo's and foreign coins were mixed in.

Totals

Rosies-58
Mercs-16
Washington Quarters-22
Barber dime-2
Morgan-1
Walking Liberty-1
Kennedy Halves- 1968-2 1966-1
Franklin Half-1
War Nickel-1942-1
Also a 1945 Canadian dime that looks silver...not sure though
 
With that many coins I would make sure you check the dates very carefully for low production years and mints a good place to look is coinfacts.com, also if any are in really nice shape I would hold onto for now. You could sell them just as easy here as anywhere, to determine prices to ask go to ebay and check on 'completed items' on the left when u search,this will give you the most accurate estimate of their current value. If you decide to sell here you can offer a discounted price because you dont have any fees to pay and the people here are in my experience always great to deal with. If you decide to sell on ebay you will get well above melt price for the coins but after you pay the fees its about a wash,good luck....shoot
 
shootist said:
With that many coins I would make sure you check the dates very carefully for low production years and mints a good place to look is coinfacts.com, also if any are in really nice shape I would hold onto for now. You could sell them just as easy here as anywhere, to determine prices to ask go to ebay and check on 'completed items' on the left when u search,this will give you the most accurate estimate of their current value. If you decide to sell here you can offer a discounted price because you dont have any fees to pay and the people here are in my experience always great to deal with. If you decide to sell on ebay you will get well above melt price for the coins but after you pay the fees its about a wash,good luck....shoot

I did, I got excited when I saw a 1916 merc but no d sadly. Any idea what you think a good price would be for everything?
 
I'd consider buying some of them if you want to split up the lot.

Yes the 1945 canadian is 80% silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom