What's new

Wherein Dan Turns Down a Hollywood Treasure Reality Show

Dan Hughes

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2008
Messages
472
Reaction score
71
Golden Thread
0
Location
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
I received this email this morning:

Hi Dan,

My name is Jason Panick and I'm a reality TV producer in California.

I came across your youtube videos and have been looking for someone to be in a concept we are developing about metal detection/treasure hunting.

Would this be something you may be interested in? We are looking for BIG personalities and a show that would take people all over finding hidden treasures.

If you are personally interested, or know someone who fits the bill who you could recommend, please let me know. Thanks and take care!


I answered,

Hi Jason,

I'm flattered, but radio is my niche, not TV. I've been in radio (DJ, news, sports, manager, college instructor) for 40 years.

I did do a TV show for 25 years on the side (I was the Alex Trebeck of east central Illinois), but I had all my questions (and answers!) right there in front of me. I was never comfortable talking without a script - and my memorization skills are nil.

Plus, I hate reality TV.

Finally, sponsors for a treasure hunting show may be hard to come by. The only detector manufacturer I've ever seen running TV spots is White's. The other companies (Fisher, Tesoro, Garrett, Bounty Hunter, and Australia's Minelab) limit their ads to treasure magazines and internet treasure forums. I'm afraid that would be a hard nut to crack.

Best of luck to you, and let me know if you carry this idea onward,

---Dan
 
I agree with you Dan, I hate reality television. Talk about a misnomer!! LOL!

On the other hand, it is a cool idea I suppose.


Sky Pilot
 
I don't like reality TV either. As a general rule, 99% is total garbage. I don't care anything about rich housewives, moron Guido's from New Jersey, spoiled brats in California, or backstabbing fools trapped on an island.

I am guilty of watching Pawn Stars and American Pickers though, if only for the fact it relates to what I do.
 
Yeah, I'm guilty of that as well, Hombre.

However, we can actually use the info from the shows that you named, so I suppose that kind of justifies it! LOL!!


Sky Pilot
 
Plus, I hate reality TV.


You where writting a nice quaint letter and letting this guy down softly.... until that part!!

LOL well done!
 
This show would do nothing but hurt the hobby. Bunch of airbreathers would get excited seeing the "planted treasures", get a detector, and start leaving holes
everywhere in their path. Hope it never gets off the ground.

Kinda like lots of people are probably going broke buying storage lockers because of the planted stuff on Storage Wars.
 
krazyace said:
Kinda like lots of people are probably going broke buying storage lockers because of the planted stuff on Storage Wars.

My cousin runs a storage business. I rent a climate controlled unit from him. He said they used to get 7 or 8 bidders at their auctions, but after that show started airing they were getting 30 plus people showing up. Most were just watching and weren't even bidding. They all crowded up the hallway where the auction took place and left a bunch of trash. Now you have to be a "Registered Bidder" to be allowed to bid there.

They plant stuff on that show?
 
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
krazyace said:
Kinda like lots of people are probably going broke buying storage lockers because of the planted stuff on Storage Wars.

My cousin runs a storage business. I rent a climate controlled unit from him. He said they used to get 7 or 8 bidders at their auctions, but after that show started airing they were getting 30 plus people showing up. Most were just watching and weren't even bidding. They all crowded up the hallway where the auction took place and left a bunch of trash. Now you have to be a "Registered Bidder" to be allowed to bid there.

They plant stuff on that show?

I guess I don't know for sure, but I like to watch it, the results don't seem too realistic. They are constantly finding cash, old coins, old fossils and crystals, etc.
Also most of the time it is only the stars of the show bidding.
 
Storage Wars is total bunk.
 
Got an idea for a reality show, "Confessions of A Coin Roll Hunter".
The star likes to go incognito so he wears a toupe resembling Gene Simmons,
whom I heartily despise. Anyway the setting is in Philly, where the "Parking
Wars" is also set. So the show starts with the actor having his breakfast with
kids squawling and wife hollering. "Enough" he shouts. "I'm off to hit the
bank." Outside two cops are parked eating (well, you know already) and look
up the street where our hero is coming from the door putting on his toupe.
The fuzz hear him shouting to his wife, "I'm going to hit the First National first
and later Security Federal. They've been good to me lately."
So here he goes downtown with cops a block behind. Naturally he can't find
a parking place so he double-parks in front of the bank. He's not inside but a
minute till here comes the Parking Lady who calls in for a boot. Patrol cars
squeels to a stop behind perps car and PL looks up and decides to move on to
fill her quota.
Cop have already called FBI and are shielding themselves behind their units.
Inside a real bank robber has made a sizeable withdrawal and our hero is on
the floor sweating bullets. Real robber's wheelman sees the cops with weapons
drawn and decides to visit New Jersey. Robber looks out where wheelman
should be and decides to take a hostage. Guess who? He yanks the wig off
coin-roll-hunter and dons it and drags him to the door and sees the cops The two cops who had followed sees Gene Simmons and screams "There he is."
The bad-guy says to CRH "You got a car?" "Right there" he signals.
Meanwhile the boot van has arrived and booted CRH's car. A big fight has
started between boot guy and gal and passerbys. One old crone has bitten
the boot guy on his leg and cops have sent for Rescue. With all the commotion
robber sees a chance to bail into CRH's front seat and using CRH as a shield
they suceed getting inside. All this time CRH has been clinging to his bagged
rolls of coins. Robber takes the keys and tries to flee but the boot is set and
very soon the air is filled with burning rubber.
Both robber and CRH escape. Show ends with robber going one way and
CRH racing down the street in the opposite direction. A banner appears on
screen, "NARROW ESCAPE" The preview of next week's episode shows CRH
at the breakfast table with wife asking "Whatcher doin' today?" He looks up
at her and smiles "I'm going to the Impound Lot."

Feel free to edit this plot.
 
Dan Hughes said:
I received this email this morning:

Hi Dan,

My name is Jason Panick and I'm a reality TV producer in California....


Dan, did the guy get as far as telling how the host would be a bikini-clad hottie on a different beach each week? His pitch to me was hilarious. We actually went as far as allowing a production company film about 200-hours of video at our gold prospecting school last year. http://www.sbwire.com/press-release...ecome-americas-next-reality-tv-star-56180.htm
We were all very excited until we saw the first edit of what would have been the pilot episode. They had edited it to look like you could come out to see us and find multiple ounces of gold by turning on your metal detector and getting out of the truck! Then to boot, they had hobbled together some footage of a rattlesnake we spotted one day, to make it look like we ALMOST got bit! Needless to say we did not sign on the dotted line, and they were PISSED!
 
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
They plant stuff on that show?

That wouldn't be much a a reality show if they planted things. The again, it will be even less of a show if they didn't :laughing7:

This topic was covered once before, and I forgot what forum, perhaps in the My Favorites, TV section.

This show would never make it for a myriad of of reasons and I'll cover a few to give you an idea. The most important reason of all is that it will be boring. The show would be just like that Heraldo Riveria special Capone's Vault :laughing9: So, you mention they are looking for personalities, huh? My guess is that you would play the straight role a la Jerry Sienfield, and they will have characters ranging from Dr Killdare, to Cosmo Kramer. :laughing7:

Now on to the show... Since it is a treasure hunting series, that doesn't always equate to using a metal detector either. But wait, a show based on perhaps middle aged men, or older, in bathing suits running along a beach with a detector is just the show I would tune in for. :laughing7: I can see this having a cast anywhere from 15-20 men to start and each week and the person with the fewest finds is banished from the hunting grounds. Hmmm, that sounds a bit like Survivor :P OK, we have our cast of middle aged characters all running around listening to beeps. Suddenly, the camera closes in on one man, that is fervently waving his metal detector across one area. He stops down and starts digging with is scooper and then.... A PULL TAB :hello2:

Don't even get me started on scenarios for the woods, or any other location for that matter.

Dan, don't worry about sponsorship either. I've never seen any TV show funded by the companies you mentioned. If the idea was a good one, and I doubt it, sponsors would be biting at the bit. Most have a little larger backing than the companies you mentioned combined. Perhaps Ford will toss in Ford for a sponsor Explorers for the participants to get around in. :tongue3: That is just one of my many brilliant ideas of and I wouldn't want to bore everyone. :laughing7:

P.S. What is the monetary compensation for the contestants away.? Those whack jobs on the Jersey Shore are pulling well over $30,000 and episode. You may be rich, but I'm not... Do me a favor, copy and paste this post to the producer and have him contact me... This is the greatest TV show idea ever :headbang:
 
Terry Soloman said:
Dan Hughes said:
I received this email this morning:

Hi Dan,

My name is Jason Panick and I'm a reality TV producer in California....


Dan, did the guy get as far as telling how the host would be a bikini-clad hottie on a different beach each week? His pitch to me was hilarious. We actually went as far as allowing a production company film about 200-hours of video at our gold prospecting school last year. http://www.sbwire.com/press-release...ecome-americas-next-reality-tv-star-56180.htm
We were all very excited until we saw the first edit of what would have been the pilot episode. They had edited it to look like you could come out to see us and find multiple ounces of gold by turning on your metal detector and getting out of the truck! Then to boot, they had hobbled together some footage of a rattlesnake we spotted one day, to make it look like we ALMOST got bit! Needless to say we did not sign on the dotted line, and they were PISSED!


Great stuff, Terry! Thanks for the chuckles!
 
Hey Lastleg, You should be writing scripts, instead of here on TN. That was great! Maybe TV needs some new blood and new ideas. Your scrip would have me rolling on the floor, thanks for making my day!
 
Add to the already good list of reasons a show like that would be a bad idea, the fact that there is always the chance you might make a find that would be better left secret. I know if I ever dug a bucket of gold coins, the last thing I'd want is a camera over my shoulder.
 
To be fair, when MtVs show The Real World first aired, it was unheard of. It was an actual reality show, and it was really good. And like any good, new thing, Hollyweird went and over did it, and corrupted the original concept.

I like American Pickers, although I think they should join forces with "Hoarders" and combine a mental disease with money making.....
 
Hey Dan,

I was contacted by the same group a couple of times...nearly same email. As a matter of fact, I've been contacted by a number of producers (a dozen or more) over the last five years or so, and honestly, have gotten to the point where I ignor them...they are all trying to jump on the Pickers/Auction hunters/pawn stars/cash and treasures...yada yada yada trend of get rich quick treasure hunting theme....and they figure that if they contact someone like you/me...we'll do all the work, find the sites and it will be "easy" for them...several I have talked to, haven't even had a running series to air yet...a couple...were big time producers...frankly, at this time and date, I don't have time to do something like it anyway...bottom line conclusion I've come to with all of them...is that "saving history" is the least thing they are concerned with.

Greg
 
Good for you Greg. It wouldn't have been about reality anyway. First thing they would'a done was put you in the middle of the desert with nuthin on but a pair of bikini briefs anyway.
 
Dan Hughes said:
I received this email this morning:

Hi Dan,

My name is Jason Panick and I'm a reality TV producer in California.

I came across your youtube videos and have been looking for someone to be in a concept we are developing about metal detection/treasure hunting.

Would this be something you may be interested in? We are looking for BIG personalities and a show that would take people all over finding hidden treasures.

If you are personally interested, or know someone who fits the bill who you could recommend, please let me know. Thanks and take care!


I answered,

Hi Jason,

I'm flattered, but radio is my niche, not TV. I've been in radio (DJ, news, sports, manager, college instructor) for 40 years.

I did do a TV show for 25 years on the side (I was the Alex Trebeck of east central Illinois), but I had all my questions (and answers!) right there in front of me. I was never comfortable talking without a script - and my memorization skills are nil.

Plus, I hate reality TV.

Finally, sponsors for a treasure hunting show may be hard to come by. The only detector manufacturer I've ever seen running TV spots is White's. The other companies (Fisher, Tesoro, Garrett, Bounty Hunter, and Australia's Minelab) limit their ads to treasure magazines and internet treasure forums. I'm afraid that would be a hard nut to crack.

Best of luck to you, and let me know if you carry this idea onward,

---Dan

Hopefully it isn't for true TV.

If it is, The detectorist would have to Sneak on Lawns,
& Have it out with Homeowners.

Then they would also hire Some Mama's boy
on Steroids, To push the Homeowners around
while you Detect the lawns.

Or "Bait Relic" the cops Bury
a 100 year old Pop Bottle,
Tell you where to dig,
wait till you Dig it,
& Then arrest you for not calling
an archie Immediately
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom