What's new

Which casing is better?

relichunters

Bronze Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
1,647
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I found two large bullet casing, which is a better find?

Remington 7mm Magnum

or

Remington 30 Off 6
 
Aw come on one has to be more rare or something, even tho both aren't worth a penny. Also do you know what kind of guns shot these?
 
30-06 would be more common been around alot longer then the 7mm. But if I had to choose one it would be 7mm. Had a lot of luck with that caliber. :thumbsup:
 
I believe a 7mm is just a necked down .270. I have never compared them side by side but they must be close to the same length, the 30-06 and the 7mm that is.
 
I know just enuf to be dangerous about guns. You asked what kind of guns shot the ammo you found. Both were probably rifles; the 30 ought 6 has long been a deer hunter's friend. The 7mm has been a military caliber for quite some time. I have a German Mauser from, like, 1917 that fires 7mm. It may be the NATO and UN "official" caliber. I bet they are equally rare. If you dig enough of them, you might could melt them into a brass monkey. :icon_scratch:
 
7 mm was originally a German mauser caliber used during WW1 and WW,developed during the later part of 1800's,(1880-1895).30-06 was developed by Springfield arms in 1906 for the military.It was used extensively in WW1 and WW2. The US military got involved in creating a new shorter round for the military and ultimately decided on the 308(7.62mm), now a nato round. This was used in the latter part of WW2 and Korea. When we got involved in the Vietnam war, a new smaller caliber was developed for close range jungle fighting, the 223(5.56mm). Almost all these popular calibers have been used by sportsmen over the years for easily accessible ammunition and reliable weapons for hunting. 7 mm magnum sprung up as a new caliber for hunting, offering more power and range than either the 30-06 or 308.It was actually a German caliber used during the WW2, but after the war Mausers were bought using this caliber and proved to be reliable and accurate.A large following soon caused the ammo and gun producers to build a better,more powerful version of these,the 7mm magnum.Then the 30-06 was necked down to create the 270,which has more long range capabilities than the 30-06.FYI rockhound
 
I like the 7mm-08. My favorite caliber of all time. :thumbsup:
 
Great information there, thank you. Maybe I can get 3 cents each for them! ;D
 
Lot of mis-information on the 7mm here. The 7mm MAGNUM is NOT the 7mm mentioned in the answering posts. Completely different cartridge/case and MODERN, not especially collectible and the 30-06 is exceedingly common and not especially collectible, either - unless one desires to start a collection and need those for it.
Luvsdux - been a firearms enthusiast for way more years than I've been a detectorist.
 
Nothing wrong with making a collection of the cartridge cases you find while detecting. Brasso and a little elbow grease will make them shiny and showable. I run into older, more antique ones from time to time in my hunts. Generally, although there are probably a few exceptions, cartridge cases per se are not particularly valuable in the sense of jewelry or old coins, but they can be interesting.
BB
 
The 7mm Remington Magnum to be precise was first produced by Remington Firearms. It has a "belted" case and head spaces on the belt rather than the rim and the belt helps the case to hold more powder. If I am not dreaming this, the 7mm Remington Magnum is an offshoot of the parent case the .375 Holland and Holland that was blown out to remove much of the taper of the case body and then necked down and shortened just a hair and necked down to 7mm. It is one of the most common rounds mainly adapted for elk size game. It is considered a bit light for African game but has been used on African antelope with some success. Winchester then later came out with the .338 Winchester Magnum to rival the 7mm for elk. Fired cases unless used in some famous event (ie: Martin Luther King Jr. assasination) are not worth much $$$ unless a few cents for a handloader. But I can't picture a handloader just buying one case! Monty
 
Hi Rockhound! The German Mauser is called 8x57. Exactly it is a 7.92x57. The casing is a little shorter than the .30-06. Orginally it was for military use but it is still used over here for hunting. I dig alot of them every day im out detecting....Here a pic from 32 rounds of .30-06 i dug out a few weeks ago. Hope it works with the pic, im still trying to get some practice
K640_0903 170.webp​
 
IMO, the better FIND is the heavier brass.
 
Oh, it works.... then some more. One is a belt of 8x57, about 120 rounds. The other one is to compare casings from .30-06 to 8x57. The big ones in this pic are 20mm casings from an anti aircraft gun. The casings are from last sunday....
CIMG1700_640_480.webp​

​
 
Mauser 8x57
 

Attachments

  • Fundstücke 059_640_427.webp
    Fundstücke 059_640_427.webp
    61.1 KB · Views: 169
I should reiterate that the case in question was said to be a 7mm Magnum and it has no relatiionship whatsoever with the 7mm Mauser. The Germans used the 8mm Mauser that is the same size case as the 7X57 Mauser only using a smaller diameter bullet. Most of the ones I have seen were the so called Argentine Mausers, and it were used during the Spanish American War by Mexico. The 7mm Remington Magnum was designed and first produced in the USA during the early 1950s , once a gain if I am remembering correctly. Anyway you got much more information than you asked for, right? Monty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom