What's new

Which coins give you the most finger grime?

Philmont_709n2

Full Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
161
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Which denomination of coins you search give you the most gray/black "stuff" on your fingers after searching a large amount of coin?
 
Upvote 0
I voted cents.....i search through only 2 boxes of cents, 1 box of halves, and random amounts of dime/nickle rolls per week
 
I'm unqualified to vote since do not do anything but the Half's, which make my fingers rather grimy too.
 
There is a noticeable collection of grime EVERY TIME after I search a box of nicks. Doesn't really bother me though, cause I wash my hands after searching any denomination.
 
I broke down and bought cheap a$$ gloves at Wal Mart. The black hands were really a pain. Jim
 
In my opinion they are all equally nasty. But if I had to go with one I would say cents. There are more of them and people drop them or pull them out of the darndest places. You never know where that cent has been.

Golden Silver
 
I don't do many halves, but I do quite a bit of other denominations. I find that nickels are consistently producing the most finger grime. At times pennies are worse and at other times they aren't. However the nickels take the cake at being the worst on a regular basis.

-Codes
 
Dont do pennies but nickels are the ones which give me the most grime.
 
They are all equal.

If you sort through the exact same number of coins in the same manner, your hands are likely to be just as dirty with any denomination.

I think most of the reason people feel there is a difference because of three reasons.
1) The number of coins per box is different and unless you compare 2500 halves to 2500 pennies, the comparison is unfair.
2) Pennies and nickels are typically date sorted (or at least not edge sorted) which involves more contact with the coins.
3) This only applies to some people. But bags vs rolls will generate different levels of contact, make sure you compare rolls to rolls or bags to bags.

Based on my experience if you date sort 2000 pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, or halves that were acquired in the same manner (all bags or all rolls), you should have an equal coating of grime on your fingers.
 
IMHO.
Pennies...... No doubt about it.... Many of the pennies have greasy grimy stuff on them. I think it's because they sit in peoples cup holders in their car and coffee pop and beer as well as cigarette ashes get all over them.......
Mojo
 
coinmojo said:
IMHO.
Pennies...... No doubt about it.... Many of the pennies have greasy grimy stuff on them. I think it's because they sit in peoples cup holders in their car and coffee pop and beer as well as cigarette ashes get all over them.......
Mojo

Yeah, but nickels, quarters, and halves find their way into casinos and get lots of smoke grime on them that is far dirtier than most pennies.

Pennies that get thrown into water (wishing well, whatever) are also quite grimy...I have passed on penny bags that looked like they were all water pennies.....yuck...just not worth it.
 
They are all equal.

If you sort through the exact same number of coins in the same manner, your hands are likely to be just as dirty with any denomination.

I think most of the reason people feel there is a difference because of three reasons.
1) The number of coins per box is different and unless you compare 2500 halves to 2500 pennies, the comparison is unfair.
2) Pennies and nickels are typically date sorted (or at least not edge sorted) which involves more contact with the coins.
3) This only applies to some people. But bags vs rolls will generate different levels of contact, make sure you compare rolls to rolls or bags to bags.

Based on my experience if you date sort 2000 pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, or halves that were acquired in the same manner (all bags or all rolls), you should have an equal coating of grime on your fingers.
i love the scientific approach....there's no way to argue against fastidious record keeping. the numbers tell it all. as i said before....Gman you never cease to amaze me. :icon_salut:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom