What's new

Which Detector Should I Take?

eathan

Sr. Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
358
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
I'm heading out on a beach holiday in the not too distant future and want to bring a detector along. Unfortunately, I don't have a beach machine, nor have I done much beach detecting, so am looking for opinions.

I have an ACE 250, a Goldmaster V-Sat and a Lobo SuperTRAQ. I've tried the ACE and the V-Sat on the beach, and while I found coins, etc with both, I wasn't thrilled with either as the sand got wet. I'm thinking about taking the Lobo, but if it's not going to handle wet sand any better, the lower pricetag on the 250 might win out. Airlines are just too good at breaking things...

Any opinions?
 
Upvote 0
Not familiar with the Goldmaster or Lobo machines, I do own an Ace 250. Contrary to a lot of what I've read and heard, the 250 does a decent job in the wet sand, if you have your sensitivity set correctly. I found that for the sand on the beaches around here, ( NC & SC) if you hunt in all metal with the sensitivity at four bars the machine will do just fine. Granted it probably won't go real deep, but it does work!!! Give that a try and see how it does. HH Gene
 
Since you are going to take the detector on the plane as baggage, take the ACE. You could ship it to your hotel or where you are going to stay also.

There is a chance of still hunting the wet sand with the ACE if you lower the Sens. a lot. Your question is like telling us you are going bear hunting but only have a BB gun. You don't have the detector that won't waste your time unless you stick to the dry sand where it will work well. Sorry to be blunt, but these are the facts. Though not all beaches are the same with the amount of salt concentrations or black sand.
 
None you have listed will work well in wet sand unless you really crank down the sensitivity. But the beach is a big place and you can do fine if you stick to the dry sand.

Of them all, I'd take the 250 since its lightweight and you can swing it all day.

If you can get a sand scoop, even a plastic one if you're just going for the weekend, will be a big help.

Have fun!
 
Thanks all. I've used the 250 a few times on beaches with the sensitivity turned down, and had some success so long as I stayed out of the surf, so will likely take that one. Just don't go to the beach often enough to justify a beach machine...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom