Which is deeper the 1266 X Fisher or theTesoro Vaquero metal detector?

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which is the better detector for relic hunting the 1266 X Fisher metal detector
Or the Tesoro Vaquero.
By better I'm looking for deep....Thanks

Hello Roadquest, To start with the Fisher 1266 x I believe is @ 12-14" depth under ideal conditions- I don't own one but that is what I remember being told.
Now the Tesoro Vaquero, which I do own has found a small animal collar buckle at 15-16" in pretty dry loamy rooty ground around a huge maple tree in the yard. I reburied the buckle with the bones out of respect. This has been my deepest find so far and I've been told that in moist ground the depth will increase.
It is my understanding that the ground mineralization and moisture content are both influencing factors on the depth's to which any detector can reach.
The experts here will most likely be better at answering your question but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. HH

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, Jamrul, sans-serif]yelnif,
[/FONT]

Thanks for the info.I have owned a 1266 X Fisher in the past. They are a great relic detector. ut, finding parts and larger coils for them are very hard.
I have been researching the Vaquero and leaning toward buying it. Sounds like it is as deep or deeper than the 1266X And putting a larger coil on it. Would
make it go even deeper. 15 to16" on a collar buckle is a good is good deep. I like that the Vaquero in so lite.
I'm yet a die hard 1266 X man, and when I have the exter case get one.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tejon is deeper yet than the Vaquero....but for me, i prefer the lighter and more "battery friendly" Vaquero. 1 9v versus 8AAs.....and maybe a touch more versatile than the Tejon...

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero is very good at finding deep rusty iron & lead, (exactly why I didn't like it) so I know it would rock on relics.

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the 1266 X knowing it will go as deep as many of the top dollar detectors. But I think weight also. The Vaquero is lite weight. And I can get more time in without wearing out my arm. I also know the 1266 X likes to chip. But I can stand that, in order to get the deep goodies. wow is me, which one to get?? lol

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why a 1266x ? Do you know where one is available ? The only machine I ever knew of that could out perform a Fisher 1266x was a Tesoro ElDorado with a 11" wide scan coil. I'm referring to digging deep mini ball bullets. Not everyone knew about the ElDorado and how good it was. The 1266 in my opinion was probably the best all around detector ever built and should go into the detecting hall of fame. it's a oldee but goodee now. There has to be many many machines on the the market now that can out perform the 1266x but it was one of the best ever. Did you buy one ?

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well i'm the last old foggy to ask bout this but I'm gonna tell ya what I think. Which is deeper the 1266 X Fisher or theTesoro Vaquero metal detector? I'd say the Fisher 1266X but I really believe you will be happier with Teso Vac . Its a more modern machine. If you ain't happy with it , give it to one of your kids.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Fisher "x" series were known for NOT losing depth when increasing the discrimination.

They also had very low frequencies : 1212x 4.2 Khz, 1225x 5.5 Khz, etc, which made them extremely good coin and relics hunting machines.

Modern Tesoros do have higher frequencies, and will be better on tiny jewelry, but still find the coins and relics.

Knowing that, well the choice is yours. If you want to hunt for clad, both will do. Deep silver and relics ? a"x" fisher, and if you want to hunt for small gold jewelry, the Vaq woud be a good choice

Amongst my fellow hunters here in Europe, many - including this Olewriter here- still use older "x" fishers with great success.

That being said, I am about to buy a Tesoro, but none of the "HOT" ones. Probably a Silver or an UK Rapier.

Let your choice be wise !

Grumpy

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would choose the Vaquero over the Fisher 12??x series any day. Why? Because I use to own a 1265x which is it's younger brother and when I increased discrimination I did lose a little depth. Also, you can not ground balance the Fisher 12??x series. They are preset (what they use to call automatic back in the day). In bad ground that's going to hurt. Vaquero has much better discrimination capability too. It will see that good target laying next to the bad one and pick up on it where as the Fisher will see the bad target and reject the good along with it. If you get your Vaquero and power balance it and feel the need to super tune it, then you have a monster depth machine on your hands. The 1266x is a very deep machine in ideal ground, and if you master the dual discrimination, then it will serve you well. Keep in mind they are extremely heavy if you swing it long and they have been known to lose depth capability with age. Also, the Fisher is no longer in warranty. If something breaks, then you are screwed. The Vaquero (in my opinion) is a much deeper machine and comes with a lifetime warranty to boot. To me it is a no brainer, but that is my own personal opinion. What matters is what suits you well and what you think you would like.

razerback408

Dec 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi i had a 1270 and it was a deep md i all so had a outlaw and it was very good as well i traded it for the vaquero the v with 10x12 supertuned is as deep as the 1270 or deeper me i like the dd coils better and look at the coils you can get for the vaquero vs the 1266 that makes the v more of a all around md if it was me and i could get the 1266 for right price give it a shot if you dont like it sell and go with the vaquero is all about fun

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I used the vaq for 2 years, and it was a great machine. But it couldn't quite keep up with the 1265x i use now. I give the 1265x about 1/2" in depth over the vaq. Where i really give the 1265 credit is for the disc circuitry as well as the audio.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought my 1266-X back in I think 1985 when it first came out. It is all beat to h*ll, looks like crap, stand broke on it years ago. I made new stand that lets the machine stand taller and less likely to roll over in tall grass or side of a hill. Some of my deepest finds came with this machine...... 18kt. man's pinky ring w/6 channel set white diamonds at 13 1/2 measured inches. It was found in an old ice skating rink in a very old park. 1923 peace dollar at 18 inches in the same park, different area. Now I'll tell ya this......I have the 12 inch HotHead coil on this machine, is that cheating?.......lol Yes it's true about dry ground vs. damp ground. It did detect deeper in damp. But, in bone dry ground I can still dig Mercs at 8 inches. I am in south eastern lower Michigan. It IS my go to machine for construction sites even though I own an Etrac. I currently have the open 8 inch spider coil on it, pinpoints dead center, and is very lightweight, compared to Etrac, but if the site warrants it, I will use my Etrac.such as deep signals where soil has been graded away. I have never experienced Tesoro's......Why? I have owned White's, Compass', Fisher's, and Minelabs. Oh, also my first machine (birthday gift) a RadioShack BFO, back in 1960. I was 10 years old waaaaay back then:icon_thumright: And I am still at it...........NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions