North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which is the best COIL for White's DFX?

Hey Gang,
I'm looking to add a new coil to my DFX, but would like to hear some discussion on which ones I should consider. I've read some info on the BIGFOOT, which I understand is for coverage, and the HOTSHOT, which I understand is for extra depth. I do CW relic & coin hunting as well as jewelry & coin hunting on the beach. It's a 3 hr. drive to the coast, so beach hunting is maybe 5 or 6 long weekends a year, but still worth it. One thing I did not understand about the BIGFOOT is the positive in the front and negative in the back. I'm wondering if a coil 18" long would interfere with a natural walking gate? It seems you might hit it with your foot. Where is the best place to buy them, and is there a waiting list? Any thoughts would be appreciated. ;D Breezie

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Re: Which is the best COIL for White's DFX?

Besides the weight factor,I've heard good and bad about both those coils.Several friends and I use the 6x10DD Eclipse for all around and don't think we miss too much.My friends have the DFX and I use the MXT.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello Breezie, Personally I have not swung the Bigfoot coil. I use a 10 x 14 EX. DD on my DFX at the beach for my short two hour excursions. It does get a bit heavy after a couple of hours, elbow and arm fatigue. As far as swinging the the 10 X 14 and a natural gait, I would say yes, the weight does give you a slight hiccup if you will, depending on your gait. My one hip does get slightly fired up swinging the big coil but I haven't tripped over it as of yet. I do not know the weight of the Bigfoot to compare it to the 10 x 14. I recently purchased a 10 inch EX. DD and it is a dream with little loss of coverage, and its lighter weight makes for a longer outing with great pinpointing. Hope this helps. Art

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

In my opinion the best coil for the DFX is the Eclipse 6x10.....The Bigfoot is a great coil but are hard to find and expensive when found...The original maker died a few years back and it's been hard to get a company to copy it...I used one on my DFX several years ago in a comp hunt...Did pretty good for the first time using it....The 6x10 will be a 95% usage coil if you get one....Good Luck...

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ditto to all the above, I have used the 5.3, 10x14, 9.5 and now the 6x10. All have their purpose, but I believe the 6x10 is the best all around for all types of ground and types of hunting. I love mine.

fccdfed

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have the DFX 300 and rarely use the 12" coil. I only use it relic hunting in large fields that have no or very little trash. I currently use the stock 9.5 coil. I want to get the 6x10DD for my primary coil as I have heard great reviews on it.

KYBuzzBox

Apr 7, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, D2, 6x10DD, 4x6DD, Super-12, 8x14DD

Hi Breezie,

I use an Eclipse 6x10DD on my V3i. A friend that I hunt with uses the same coil on his MXT. This is our standard coil for parks, totlots, and most hunts around old houses. I use my D2 and Super-12 for relic hunting in the woods and corn fields. I prefer the D2 because it is lighter to swing all day and it is easier to pinpoint with on my V3i. I would highly recommend the 6x10DD coil, they work great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread