I feel it is like one shooting an semi automatic gun vs. a single shot / revolver. It's mostly in the mind, but one tends to just shoot the semi auto's figuring they have the fire power and with the single shot / revolver, one tends to concentrate more and really learn what they are doing as they cannot send alot of rounds down field. (This is my own experience.)
I have found that to be true with a screen (semi auto) and without (single shot / revolver) I tend to concentrate more and really learn the detector. I find that if I ignore the screen on my DFX and decide to dig prior to looking at the screen, I do better and have found some nice finds that I may have counted as junk prior to doing this. I will look at the screen at times for reference and trying to match my gut feeling to what the screen says.
Learning whatever detector you end up with is key anyway. I depended to much on the screen at first. I find great finds without a screened unit and dig just as much junk. An example; I had a bottle cap reading on the DFX, but my gut said dig due to the location, it was a thin silver ring. Sometimes the good stuff is in the bad screen readings and vise versa. Just my opinion, I think hunting without a screen really hones ones concentration and you will not find any less than someone with a screen once you learn your detector.
Also, without the screen, I think you get a little more machine for the money, especially in this price range. I am no pro, but mostly self taught, so these are my opinions and experiences. Good luck!