Found in Oz. Can someone tell me who they were or what they did??
I know it's worth about $20.00 What are those little wriggly marks on the back of it? Thanks
The Cat
White Bros. supplied leather to shoe companies and other manufacturers. "Willow calf" was a type of leather. I believe these tokens were attached to pairs of shoes, hence the hole at the top.
The squiggles on the reverse appear to imitate inscriptions from Arabic coins.
Spot on, as usual PBK!!
Willow calf is a leather! Generally colored(not black) with lines like willow bark, hence the name. Nothing to do with California.
The White brothers were shoemakers in Boston Massachusetts. Each type of their tokens were attached to a tag, which was then attached to a pair of their shoes. Several of the original tags survive and these identify White Brothers as specialists in colored leathers which "will not crack" and are "free from arsenic." (!!)
A pair of willow calf shoes are shown at the bottom of this site: http://www.coinpeople.com/lofiversion/index.php/t24104.html
The photo I used was from another site as I have trouble getting any decent sort of picture with the macro on my camera.
I have attached the best pic I could take.
The Cat
Not worth anything, but always good to find something different. I'll put it in with the girl guide badges and lifeboy badges and high school badges etc... lol