What's new

Whizzer toy made from CT copper, cufflink, and buttons

rhedden

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2003
Messages
393
Reaction score
845
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore & Nokta Makro Simplex
Today's detecting expedition was a long hike into the mountains to an isolated site with history from the late 1700s to early 1800s. I was there only 10 minutes when I received a strong coin signal with a crackle of iron on the Simplex+. After scanning it for several minutes and watching the detector change its mind with every swing, I walked away, only to turn right around and dig it. Right next to a rusty nail was a Connecticut copper, the first state-issued coin I've ever dug! The first three digits of the date (178*) are visible, and they were produced from 1785-1788. The coin has two holes drilled in it, presumably to create a "whizzer" toy for a child - or was it meant to be a crude coat button?

wgzZyoQ.jpg


Another exciting find from today was a gold-plated brass cufflink, also the first of its kind that I have found.

4TR3wtn.jpg


I located a pair of these nickel-sized buttons that have a woven pattern on the front, almost like an apple pie. The backmark is a wreath with thin leaves that resembles the reverse side of large cents of 1794-96. There are three stars above the wreath.

DT3vE2Jl.jpg
WBjKvSJl.jpg


Two other buttons turned up, and appallingly, both of them were surface finds. I suppose they are made of less dense metal that never sank into the ground, but it's a rare day that you can just bend down and pick up a 200 year old button. The site is on the side of a hill, so soil erosion might have helped.

QsNA23jl.jpg
LuFCPgMl.jpg


The day would not have been complete without a final find that was resting just beneath some moss on top of a stone wall boulder. I thought I had another button, but it was a 1980s vintage pulltab. Yep - 1.5 miles out into the woods, and I still dug a pulltab!

rF1WAWw.jpg
 

Attachments

  • CT copper 178X.webp
    CT copper 178X.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • CT copper 178X.webp
    CT copper 178X.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 30
Congratulations on the reworked old copper.
The cufflinks gold would probably be highlighted if you use some lemon juice or the rind.
Great day of recoveries
 
The top one looks like a old coin
 
Nice finds!
All the whizzers that I have dug have the edges scalloped like a little circular saw blade.
I do have a very nice George 1 halfpenny that was made into a button, I am thinking that is what you have there as well.
 
Just for kicks, I made it into a whizzer by threading some 30 lb. braid fishing line through the holes. Gave it a few minutes of play action (first time in 200+ years?) If it wasn't a whizzer before, it is now!
 
Great finds - really like the CT. Copper !

I found a CT. Copper here in Ohio a few years ago.
It's in bad condition but I was really happy to find one - it's a very rare find in our part of the country.
 
My guess on your coin with the 2 holes would be for a crude button, like you said. I have found a few whizzer toy tokens / coins, and the holes are farther apart and closer to the edges than yours is. Just my opinion. Close holes would have been for easier sewing and stability for a button. Either way, you have some nice finds.
 
Fine saves from a really old site! That would have been an exciting hunt! The CT copper is in better condition than many from the ground (excepting the holes, of course). I have found quite a few old buttons with back wreaths. The fronts of some were plain. I wondered why the manufacturer would adorn back but leave a plain front.
 
Today's detecting expedition was a long hike into the mountains to an isolated site with history from the late 1700s to early 1800s. I was there only 10 minutes when I received a strong coin signal with a crackle of iron on the Simplex+. After scanning it for several minutes and watching the detector change its mind with every swing, I walked away, only to turn right around and dig it. Right next to a rusty nail was a Connecticut copper, the first state-issued coin I've ever dug! The first three digits of the date (178*) are visible, and they were produced from 1785-1788. The coin has two holes drilled in it, presumably to create a "whizzer" toy for a child - or was it meant to be a crude coat button?

wgzZyoQ.jpg


Another exciting find from today was a gold-plated brass cufflink, also the first of its kind that I have found.

4TR3wtn.jpg


I located a pair of these nickel-sized buttons that have a woven pattern on the front, almost like an apple pie. The backmark is a wreath with thin leaves that resembles the reverse side of large cents of 1794-96. There are three stars above the wreath.

DT3vE2Jl.jpg
WBjKvSJl.jpg


Two other buttons turned up, and appallingly, both of them were surface finds. I suppose they are made of less dense metal that never sank into the ground, but it's a rare day that you can just bend down and pick up a 200 year old button. The site is on the side of a hill, so soil erosion might have helped.

QsNA23jl.jpg
LuFCPgMl.jpg


The day would not have been complete without a final find that was resting just beneath some moss on top of a stone wall boulder. I thought I had another button, but it was a 1980s vintage pulltab. Yep - 1.5 miles out into the woods, and I still dug a pulltab!

rF1WAWw.jpg
That is really cool. State money wow. I found a similar “looking” item at an old beach this morning. It’s in the (not quite trash) container in the garage. I’ll have to investigate it further. Looked too small to be a coin or button. Only reason I kept it is it might be silver. HOWEVER: the reason I read the post was I wondered what “Connecticut copper” was. My sister lives in Yalesville, part of Wallingford CT. She took me to lunch once in an old building which at one time was a silversmith company of some sort. It has the old New England textile type building look, and overlooks a river. She told me at one time the employees were disgruntled with their pay and work conditions, and although they were too scared to attempt stealing any silver, it didn’t stop them from throwing it out the windows into the river now and then. I remember the water didn’t look very deep. Like hip boots or waders would get you put there at the time. If anyone can hunt that place down it may be worth investigating.
 
That is really cool. State money wow. I found a similar “looking” item at an old beach this morning. It’s in the (not quite trash) container in the garage. I’ll have to investigate it further. Looked too small to be a coin or button. Only reason I kept it is it might be silver. HOWEVER: the reason I read the post was I wondered what “Connecticut copper” was. My sister lives in Yalesville, part of Wallingford CT. She took me to lunch once in an old building which at one time was a silversmith company of some sort. It has the old New England textile type building look, and overlooks a river. She told me at one time the employees were disgruntled with their pay and work conditions, and although they were too scared to attempt stealing any silver, it didn’t stop them from throwing it out the windows into the river now and then. I remember the water didn’t look very deep. Like hip boots or waders would get you put there at the time. If anyone can hunt that place down it may be worth investigating.
Well I couldn’t sit still I had to check them out. Ran a brass brush over them and looked with a loop. Probably just buttons. The one with the single hole still appears to be silver. They both came off this beach this morning which is being renovated. There was a trading post there in Colonial days. Now I’ll be paying closer attention to all things round. When the project ends, the entire stretch of stony beach will be buried in new sand. Anything not found now probably never will be.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0715.webp
    IMG_0715.webp
    2 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0714.webp
    IMG_0714.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
Today's detecting expedition was a long hike into the mountains to an isolated site with history from the late 1700s to early 1800s. I was there only 10 minutes when I received a strong coin signal with a crackle of iron on the Simplex+. After scanning it for several minutes and watching the detector change its mind with every swing, I walked away, only to turn right around and dig it. Right next to a rusty nail was a Connecticut copper, the first state-issued coin I've ever dug! The first three digits of the date (178*) are visible, and they were produced from 1785-1788. The coin has two holes drilled in it, presumably to create a "whizzer" toy for a child - or was it meant to be a crude coat button?

wgzZyoQ.jpg


Another exciting find from today was a gold-plated brass cufflink, also the first of its kind that I have found.

4TR3wtn.jpg


I located a pair of these nickel-sized buttons that have a woven pattern on the front, almost like an apple pie. The backmark is a wreath with thin leaves that resembles the reverse side of large cents of 1794-96. There are three stars above the wreath.

DT3vE2Jl.jpg
WBjKvSJl.jpg


Two other buttons turned up, and appallingly, both of them were surface finds. I suppose they are made of less dense metal that never sank into the ground, but it's a rare day that you can just bend down and pick up a 200 year old button. The site is on the side of a hill, so soil erosion might have helped.

QsNA23jl.jpg
LuFCPgMl.jpg


The day would not have been complete without a final find that was resting just beneath some moss on top of a stone wall boulder. I thought I had another button, but it was a 1980s vintage pulltab. Yep - 1.5 miles out into the woods, and I still dug a pulltab!

rF1WAWw.jpg
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom