What's new

Who Collects Ink Bottles?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2009
Messages
2,365
Reaction score
1,315
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northcentral Florida
Here's one from the TOC in an attractive amber color.

inkstaffordsamberbarrel.webp​
 
The only ink I have dug is a very new one. It is similar in style to the one you posted above, but it is machine made.

I dream of one day digging an umbrella ink or even a master ink bottle. :)


Best Wishes,



Buckles
 
I have one ink bottle that I found while walking along the Ohio River bank here in my home town. It was laying in the river in shallow water. The neck was put on a little crooked.
Not sure you can read it but it reads Underwood's Inks.

itownguy
 

Attachments

  • ink bottle.webp
    ink bottle.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,458
  • ink bottle..webp
    ink bottle..webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,457
Itownguy said:
I have one ink bottle that I found while walking along the Ohio River bank here in my home town. It was laying in the river in shallow water. The neck was put on a little crooked.
Not sure you can read it but it reads Underwood's Inks.
itownguy
Excellent little ink, 'Itownguy'! That's not a form with which I am familiar.
 
hi, I only find common ink wells and bottles. Most are mid to late 1800's

tinpan
 

Attachments

  • S7300901.webp
    S7300901.webp
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,394
Nice color!! I don't "collect' them, as in buying them.. but high on my list of bottles I love to dig when out.. in fact I dug two today!! ;-) Have a dozen or so and one master ink.. always a great find!!

MB
 
Only two I could dig out at the moment. Nice ink wells you guys are showing :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • 100_2200.webp
    100_2200.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,306
  • 100_2207.webp
    100_2207.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,294
That last one is a great ink, Harry. I haven't seen that shape before. :hello2:
 
Glad you like the Harrison's Columbian Ink, guys.

Here are some master inks . . . "master" in the sense that they held bulk ink from which fonts were filled. This first one is American, as you can tell from the embossing. Note the pour spout.

inkmasterdavids.webp​
These two master inks are British-made. Note that instead of a spout, these two bottles have "v" grooves impressed in the inner side of the lip. This groove guided the ink during a pour.
inkmasterpairpjarnold.webp​
 
I had to go count my inks. I've got 87 but haven't been very active in acquiring any in the last several years. I used to be big in collecting bottles but digging up old rusty iron is more to my liking now.
 
lumbercamp said:
I had to go count my inks. I've got 87 but haven't been very active in acquiring any in the last several years. I used to be big in collecting bottles but digging up old rusty iron is more to my liking now.
How about posting a few images of your most photogenic ink bottles?
 
Ya'll got some nice inks. Used to have some pontil Umbrellas, but I sold them. Always wanted a Harrison. Here are a few I still have. FM & Co, J & IEM, Allings and the labeled one.
 

Attachments

  • DSC04030.webp
    DSC04030.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,194
This is the only one I have found so far. :'( :'( :'(
 

Attachments

  • what are they relics 016.webp
    what are they relics 016.webp
    54 KB · Views: 1,203
  • what are they relics 017.webp
    what are they relics 017.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,160
Here's another view of that yellow-amber umbrella ink. The first image I posted was flash-assisted. This one is merely backlighted. I think this backlighted image is closest to the actual bottle color.

inkumbrellaamberB.webp​
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom