Who has had success with Rock Tumbling?

Remember that when you are using silicon carbide grit, the grit gets polished also. So at some point the grit looses its ability to work your stone. Better to do 2 one week grinds with new grit than 1 two week grind. Another methiod I have heard of is just adding a couple of measures of fresh grit to recharge your tumble.

Upvote 0
goldinmypan said:
Remember that when you are using silicon carbide grit, the grit gets polished also. So at some point the grit looses its ability to work your stone. Better to do 2 one week grinds with new grit than 1 two week grind. Another methiod I have heard of is just adding a couple of measures of fresh grit to recharge your tumble.

Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0
Most years, the tumblers are running about four months out of the year. I tumble what I don't plan on cabbing, along with those I started cabbing and then changed my mind about as I got into the process.

My daughter is starting school this fall majoring in geological engineering. Wonder if all the time spent looking for rocks with dad had anything to do with her decision? ::)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back