Attachments

• 000_0016m.jpg.w300h219.jpg
    000_0016m.jpg.w300h219.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 807
  • 20091208_053929_coin_ring_3.jpg
    20091208_053929_coin_ring_3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 820
man i cant stand jewelery but those are rad, im scowering ebay now :thumbsup:

There was a member here on TNet that made them and used to have an ongoing thread in the classifieds. I'm not sure it is still around.

But I have to ask, What does this have to do with CRH'ing?

A fun way to use the silver we find, in an older coin that isnt in the best condition.
I like them-
Let me know if anyone finds out more-
N8

Well...I would be making it out of CRH finds? haha I don't know.. This is the only part of the page I post on, and I wanted input from the people i post with every day.

I really like them..I dont wear any kind of jewelery either...But I would wear on of these.
Nate, I have found instruction on them...
I was really wondering if anyone know anything about heating silver, and the affects on it.
If you (or anyone else) what the instructions on this...PM me...I'd be glad to share what I know.

And also just trying to gather any input...knowledge is power!
I want to make one for myself..
And I was going to make a set for my grandparents.
Thought that would be a thoughtful gift.

That is very cool.. you should perhaps ask a jeweler. I've seen some modern day Hobo coins with really really good art on them too. Some sell for a lot too, more than your basic hobo nickel.

Cool- Send me any info you have on it, if you do not mind.
I have 2 friends that work on jewelry and I would love to try this. I will post up a tutorial/my experience one I try it with them
Nate

There is a guy on this site who makes rings like that. I purchased one from him for $40. Very good guy! Unfortunately I lost it at airport checkpoint.

Beautiful Better Than sell For Melt!!! Chug

A hell of a lot of work went into that one. I am guessing five solid hours, with the right tools. At ten bucks an hour labor, plus ten for spot price of the silver, that's a Grant all day long.

There was a vid, here or on u-tube that showed the whole process. The coin isnt being destroyed, just made into something very nice, and especially if the coin was not in good shape anyway. I think its a good idea!

I took a plain 'ol '64 ken half. Using the back of a spoon, tapped the coin continuously as I held coin between thumb and finger, rotating coin. Wow that got boring! So, I started tapping when I got a little bored...tap, tap, tap. Soon, the the edge of the coin starts to flatten a bit.
Got a little impatient after a few hours of tapping here and there, so I started to use a very small hammer. Things started picking up from there...after awhile the edge flattened enough so that I could drill out the center very carefully. That's as far as I got, threw it in a drawer.
The coin in the photo is made using a different method. My wife bought me one like it off ebay. ffd

I would also be interested in anything you gys find about how to make them.

The very best site I've found can be located by googling "coin ring crafting by john bortscher"
It's not a site I could cut and paste here.

Don't know how to make them, but I found a wedding band made out of a '32 Washington quarter with my MD about 30 years ago. Still have it. The outer surface is totally smooth, but you can read the date and letering on the inner side.
Robin

I bought the tools needed, and took a 64 ken and gave it a try..
I'm going to need some practice! lol
I made two huge mistakes..
First, I drill the center out way too far.. Making the ring larger that a size 15...HUGE.
And I rushed it, and didn't hammer the coin down far enough before turning it..
But, I plan to try again!
here is a photo of my first fail.. lol.
I didn't even bother polishing it up..
Just going to keep it for fun.
I'll update after my next one.

Attachments

• gdf.JPG
    gdf.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 273

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back