Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Who Knows the 'First 'US' Coin' and pronunciation of 'Disme'

The first questions answer is easier,
the second answer is a revelation to me, Disme = Deem :o
HH All :read2:
The first coins issued by the authority of the United States were the "fugio" cents, called so because of the word "FUGIO" on the sun above the sun dial (This Latin legend represents the expressing "Time Flies"). Underneath is the words "Mind Your Business". Fugio Cents were another effort to supply small change for commerce in the fledgling United States.

Note that Fugio Cents were coined by a private company in New Haven, Connecticut but other companies might have made them too. Abel Buell was the die sinker.

There are many varieties; all are dated 1787. Purportedly, Benjamin Franklin was the author of the legends. The copper is said to have come from the copper bands from powder kegs sent by the French during the Revolution. (as were pewter Continental Currency struck from packing strips)The first United States Mint issues weren't struck until the Philadelphia Mint was built in 1792. The first coins struck were essentially experimental coins and include the 1792 Silver Center Cent, the 1792 Birch Cent and the 1792 half disme (pronounced like the word "steam" but with a "d")

Re: Who Knows the 'First 'US' Coin' and pronunciation of 'Disme'

steelheadwill said:
Underneath is the words "Mind Your Business".

That should have been the motto on all American money, only add the word "own"

I think I read somewhere that the silver for the Disme's was made from Martha Washington's silver set and George Washington had Thomas Jefferson disperse them through out Philadelphia and the surrounding area's. I could be wrong. Interesting though............Scott.

Rodbuster209 said:
I think I read somewhere that the silver for the Disme's was made from Martha Washington's silver set and George Washington had Thomas Jefferson disperse them through out Philadelphia and the surrounding area's. I could be wrong. Interesting though............Scott.
I remember that too, also other early strikes and patterns given to foriegn dignitaries as declarations of our soveriegnity :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back