who knows the story or legend behind this robbers roost pistol

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
supposedly solid silver handle. not seen it in person. owner was looking for info
robber1.jpg robber2.jpg

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess that it was part of a Pair because this is engraved to be visible worn on the left side. Not the popular side unless your left handed :) Make model and serial Would go a long way here BTW

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
there a robbers roost on hwy 14 ,close to ridgecrest ca.that robbers used to hid around.i dont know if this has anything to do with your gun,
good luck brad

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can Trace the Phrase back to 1858.
New Orleans daily crescent. ([New Orleans, La.]), 11 Dec. 1858.

1111.jpg

1279 results containing “the phrase "robbers roost "”

Search Results « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

However I can not Find any connection to the words Gun, Revolver or Pistol that explain the inscription.
this could mean it's newer then 1921 . other then that. nothing here.

But if I had to Guess . they were Created by or for a Zane Grey Fan in the 1950's
when the Movie came out.

oiuyt.jpg
perhaps, on display.
or even slung around at the opening by someone dressed up as the Star.

Last edited:

Bavarian Joe

Apr 11, 2007
The pistol is a Merwin and Hulbert, don't know if it helps. Figure 1870's to 1880's. It's the large version, probably a .44. Grips could have been done at any time.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Well there is another Robbers Roost in Wyoming, near the junction of US routes 18 and 85 in the eastern part of the state. Quite a number of stage robberies were held here, as the robbers had a regular 'station' at the crossing of the Cheyenne river; they could easily stop the stage due to the steep hill at the crossing. Several violent gun battles occurred there as well, including a locally famous gunfighter named Boone May, whom was the terror of the stage robbers. It would not be impossible for that revolver to have once been the property of Boone May, he was the stage station manager (and guard) at Robbers Roost for a while. I would highly recommend further research on this gun, congratulations! :notworthy:

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Thank you. I thought perhaps made from the loot from robber's roost in ok but clearly there are several possibilities. Thought somebody might have heard or read a story "and then he melted down the spanish reales to make hand grips" or something. Thank you again. This is in Ca. currently. Not mine.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desertmoons,

Frank Fish found a strongbox from a stagecoach robbery at Robber's Roost near Mojave, Ca in the 1950s. There is a picture of him holding some of the wea[pons recovered from the cache in his 1961 book "Buried Treasure and Lost Mines". The description says (2) Colts Cap and ball revolvers.If your pistol came from anywhere near Amador, Ca. It may have been in his Treasure Hunting Museum there. You could also try and contact Lake Eerie Schaeffer's Family (close friend of Fish) to see if they have heard of it.

Mike

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
PS I forgot to mention that the famous gunfighter Boone May actually LOST a gun while chasing robbers at Robbers Roost, a mishap that took some time for him to live down, as far as I know that gun has never been found. But anyway there are several interesting possibilities to research further, please keep us posted as to what you find out? Thanks in advance.
Oroblanco

:coffee2::coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread