Whole Civil War Bottle & More!

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow
Whole Civil War Bottle & More!

I've been out a few more times hunting civil war relics since my last post! I thought I'd show you all some of my finds. Me, Rob & Dickie were diggin' out a trash pit only a few feet from each other. All 3 of us were diggin' up broken bottle parts when I uncovered part of one that was under a big tree root. I worked it slowly but in my mind I thought it was going to be broken. But as I pulled it out from under that root the whole thing was there! Man was I happy! I still can't believe in the middle of all those broken bottles there was still a good one waiting for me to find!
I did find it in the crouch's book. It's listed as a whiskey bottle. It has a seam that runs up the side & a concaved bottom. You can also see bubbles in the glass.
I also found a canteen neck with what looks like some letters scratched in it on both sides. Can't figure out what they are though.
Other things are 2 Eagle I coat buttons, 2 regular Eagle cuff buttons, a button back, a belt hook, a 69 cal bullet & 2 58's, a 32 cal S&W bullet with casing, misc lead, a percussion cap and 2 shoulder scale attachments. One still has the little turn knob on it.

Attachments

• bottle 1.JPG
    bottle 1.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,028
  • bottle 2.JPG
    bottle 2.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,021
  • bottle 3.JPG
    bottle 3.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,028
  • canteen neck 1.JPG
    canteen neck 1.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 1,038
  • canteen neck 2.JPG
    canteen neck 2.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,017
  • bullets & buttons.JPG
    bullets & buttons.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,025
  • buttons.JPG
    buttons.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,012
Upvote 0
Re: Whole Civil War Bottle & More!

Some very nice finds. You were very patient to avoid breaking the bottle. Keep us posted on future finds. WTG and HH, Quindy.

Great Going Seabiscuit. I guess you can find patience in a bottle,
even though the whiskey is gone. That was some careful digging. :headbang:
HH, Yard Digger

Sweet bunch of finds. :thumbsup: Great dug bottle!

:o Good gosh, SB! Yer making it look toooo easy! :D What an amazing bottle! :icon_pirat: You guys are finding some of the BEST stuff!!! :o

Congrats to ya!! :icon_pirat:

Nana :wink:

ps...ROB....you might not want to use a shovel in those holes. :laughing7: OH...and I bet that Shark Pit sifter you have would come in handy diggin those out. :thumbsup:

That's a good day. That one eagle I came out really nice.

Sweet! Great finds! Breezie

Congrats and the excellent hunt!

Really nice CW finds. Congrats on the bottle.
Dman

Great finds keep it up :icon_thumright:

Very nice finds...love that bottle.

:wink: RR

Great looking finds. The bottle is really nice. :icon_thumright: Is it a three piece mold as I can't tell from the picture angle?
There is a really cool image on left hand shoulder.

Attachments

• bottle 3-2.JPG
    bottle 3-2.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 725

Hi Seabiscuit,

Nice finds and your bottle is one tough survivor :) I might be wrong but it looks like a 3-piece mould black (dark-green in reality) glass bottle of mid-19th century with a dimpled pontil bottom. In Australia we call them 'goldfields black' because it was where they were found in the first place. And they usually contained spirits. It's always a miracle to pull out a whole thing from among those shards.

Seabisquit, VERY nice color on that bottle. Not pontiled, but almost. Pontils phased out just before the war. Show a pic of that one in a well lit window please!

Seabisquit, VERY nice color on that bottle. Not pontiled, but almost. Pontils phased out just before the war. Show a pic of that one in a well lit window please!

Took it from this website.
http://www.antiquebottles.com/bottoms/. I would like to quote from them:

Before/during the Civil War, bottles had a pontil base.

tuatara, base is too shiny.........not pontiled, iron or otherwise, agreed??
Posted on: Today at 09:23:13 PMPosted by: tuatara

Yes. There is a mixture of info on different antique bottles sites. I call this type of bottoms 'dimpled' :laughing9: Don't know a scientific term though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back