why are all price guides except coins not accurate

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
was just wondering why price guides for most collectibles stink so much.coins seem to be the only true and accurate.if u find a 1902 dime u can lookit up in seconds.and u have a pretty good idea of value.try that with dolls.records.bb cards.stamps.comic books.the price guides for these are fantasies.why not print a lower accurate number and be done.stamp collectors esp talk about percent of catalog.again whynot print an accurate number to begin with.who profits from this? are we collectors so gullibale that were supposed to get excited over numbers that mean nothing.also it seems like the grading standards on esp paper items are too rigid.ie comics ,bb cards.to have any value at all it must be never breathed on,and grades up from there.to me thats just like saying circ coins arent worth collecting just ms 60 and up. i sure wish someone somewhere would come up with some real life price guides that show values for conditions in which the majority of items are found.rant rant but i had to!! so there

T

The.Boomer

Lotsa luck trying to get the price marked for a coin in the red book. Accurate my behind, they're not even close. But I'll bet the I.R.S. thinks they are. :icon_scratch:

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Every price guide including coins is obsolete as soon as it is printed. that is one reason that some collectibles guides price the items so high. A second reason that it is so high is that some authors compile asking prices and not prices realized. Any price that is way too high will result in no sale so obviously you would want a prices realized guide. One thing that can be said about ALL price guides regardless of what they price and regardless of how old they are is this ..... if something was listed as common it is still common. If it was listed as rare it may still be rare. If you have an old price guide and something is listed as rare go to a mall bookstore and look it up in the current edition price guides. Barnes and Nobles has a coffee shop and you are permited to read their book on the premises without buying them. That will save you a bunch of money. siegfried schlagrule

springcypress

Jun 9, 2008
Cypress Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
Every price guide including coins is obsolete as soon as it is printed. that is one reason that some collectibles guides price the items so high. A second reason that it is so high is that some authors compile asking prices and not prices realized. Any price that is way too high will result in no sale so obviously you would want a prices realized guide. One thing that can be said about ALL price guides regardless of what they price and regardless of how old they are is this ..... if something was listed as common it is still common. If it was listed as rare it may still be rare. If you have an old price guide and something is listed as rare go to a mall bookstore and look it up in the current edition price guides. Barnes and Nobles has a coffee shop and you are permited to read their book on the premises without buying them. That will save you a bunch of money. siegfried schlagrule

Generally true... sometimes not.

When hoards are found they sometimes make rare coins common coins.

A good example of this was the release of the GSA Morgans.
Prior to 62 a 1903-O would have set you back $1500 (that's a little over 10K adjusted for inflation). You can pick one up today on ebay uncirculated for around $150.
Similar examples are 1895 and several of the CC Morgans.

But as a general rule Siegfried Schlagrule statement is correct.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
As an antiques dealer I can tell you that Ebay has destroyed the market. So many items have come out of the woodwork making them less scarce. Plus the repros and the internet fraud, are all factors that lower values. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay on any given day. My advice is to see what an item sells for on Ebay as a guide anymore.

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
finderzzs said:
As an antiques dealer I can tell you that Ebay has destroyed the market. So many items have come out of the woodwork making them less scarce. Plus the repros and the internet fraud, are all factors that lower values. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay on any given day. My advice is to see what an item sells for on Ebay as a guide anymore.
EVEN THEN many times u cannot see behind the scenes.i hear that very often now the buyer demands price reductions for real/imagined flaws.after the sale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread