Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Why aren't you a member

Keppy said:
I have to many things to do to look for something that some one lost............ Your pathetic and self centered how you look at others......... I don't look down on any one that has different ideas than mine.....................they have there ideas and i have mine........... Because some one don't think like me ..... i don't call names...... If we all thought the same there would only be one brand of detector & one model in the auto.................... And of course if we were all the same we would be COMMUNIST................OH LSmorgan here is your halo wear it in peace

You're entitled to think whatever you want, but that doesn't mean that what you think doesn't objectively qualify you as a dirtbag.

For example, there are people who think it's totally OK to abuse dogs. Their opinion but for sure, they're dirtbags.
Does keeping a found ring- where the owner can be identified- rise to the same level of dirtbaggery?
No, but it registers on the dirtbag scale. Yes, I realize there are people out there in the world for whom $150 is a huge deal. Perhaps if they had a different mentality, they would've achieved a higher station in this life but alas, they didn't... So there they are, at the bottom of the barrel, can't be bothered to help out another human being, to brighten their day, because that $150 is a 'big deal' to most dirtbags. Man, that's like... ten cases of beer!

So I guess it does qualify me for the halo. I'll take it.
Thank you. Enjoy your life bouncing along the bottom... Your outlook on life and other people ensures you will never rise above it. I lost interest in keeping company with your sort long ago, so it's not something I have to bother dealing with.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

LSMorgan said:
Keppy said:
I have to many things to do to look for something that some one lost............ Your pathetic and self centered how you look at others......... I don't look down on any one that has different ideas than mine.....................they have there ideas and i have mine........... Because some one don't think like me ..... i don't call names...... If we all thought the same there would only be one brand of detector & one model in the auto.................... And of course if we were all the same we would be COMMUNIST................OH LSmorgan here is your halo wear it in peace

You're entitled to think whatever you want, but that doesn't mean that what you think doesn't objectively qualify you as a dirtbag.

For example, there are people who think it's totally OK to abuse dogs. Their opinion but for sure, they're dirtbags.
Does keeping a found ring- where the owner can be identified- rise to the same level of dirtbaggery?
No, but it registers on the dirtbag scale. Yes, I realize there are people out there in the world for whom $150 is a huge deal. Perhaps if they had a different mentality, they would've achieved a higher station in this life but alas, they didn't... So there they are, at the bottom of the barrel, can't be bothered to help out another human being, to brighten their day, because that $150 is a 'big deal' to most dirtbags. Man, that's like... ten cases of beer!

So I guess it does qualify me for the halo. I'll take it.
Thank you. Enjoy your life bouncing along the bottom... Your outlook on life and other people ensures you will never rise above it. I lost interest in keeping company with your sort long ago, so it's not something I have to bother dealing with.

I guess that makes me a dirtbag then... $150 would pay my electric bill for a month but my mentality prevents me from being on the same level as LSMorgan! I almost resorted to name calling but I will refrain from your tactics. There are many circumstances that prevent people from being financially capable other than their "choices in life". You should consider yourself very lucky that you can have such high standards that you think that your choices have decided your fortune. One small incident can change your life beyond anything you can even imagine. I used to work 40+ hours a week, I had a decent job and a family. One slip on the ice and one head trauma later I'm not the man I used to be. If you want to sit and judge everyone by your breaks in life life well good for you.

I am not a thief and I definitely don't want to gain from someone Else's loss but if I find a gold ring that can pay to keep my lights on I am not going to go out of my way to return it to someone who didn't care enough about it in the first place so as not to lose it.

Maybe we should get you an ivory tower to sit on while you wear your halo.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

GoGoGopher said:
If you have to call it Work, then you need a new "Hobby"...

HH,

Keppy said:
Sandman said:
Most detectorist want to keep the stuff they find. Sure we have the ones that will return a ring when the owner is known but detecting is a private thing done for fun and not profit. We have enough to worry about with states DNR's wanting us to return everything we find back to them.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: I am like , doctors , lawers ,auto mechanics , ect, ect........ I don't work for nothing........... And treasure hunting to me means Finders Keepers......Losers Tough ................. I know i might hear from all the one's out there that think they are so wonderful and great with a halo around there head.............. You want to work for nothing go ahead........... I will not....
FYI........... There are some that make there liveing doing this ... It's not a game to them.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

savant365 said:
I guess that makes me a dirtbag then... $150 would pay my electric bill for a month but my mentality prevents me from being on the same level as LSMorgan! I almost resorted to name calling but I will refrain from your tactics. There are many circumstances that prevent people from being financially capable other than their "choices in life". You should consider yourself very lucky that you can have such high standards that you think that your choices have decided your fortune. One small incident can change your life beyond anything you can even imagine. I used to work 40+ hours a week, I had a decent job and a family. One slip on the ice and one head trauma later I'm not the man I used to be. If you want to sit and judge everyone by your breaks in life life well good for you.

I am not a thief and I definitely don't want to gain from someone Else's loss but if I find a gold ring that can pay to keep my lights on I am not going to go out of my way to return it to someone who didn't care enough about it in the first place so as not to lose it.

:icon_thumright:....Well from what i read of ....LSMorgan & Deathhare's ....post they both have filthy minds. There post's are trying to make this a X rated fourm........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I imagine Tnet also has many enemies from other dirtbag forums that have an ax to grind.

I manage a group of detectorist that cleans the county beaches of all metal, paper, cig butts, plain old paper trash from the swim beaches. They do it for fun but get to keep anything that isn't reported as lost after the legal requirements are met. If someone reports a loss I will send someone or the whole group to look for the item. They do this because they want too and I get them into places where metal detecting is not allowed like private subdivision beaches. Our pay is the thought that we are providing a service and get to keep all the coins we can find. Some of these beach clean ups pay us just like you contract for lawn mowing or snow removal. If I am called about a lost item at a state park, we charge a deposit of $50, to keep the, "Watch the nerds look for something that isn't there," out of it.

Are we "Goodie Two Shoes?" of course not. We mostly don't except the $50 bucks, we just enjoy the challange of looking for a certain item with out the thought of wasting our time. If a reward is offered it is up to the finder if he accepts it..... Plus we also find items that aren't reported as lost which we have the option of keeping or looking for the "loser" as it where. We look at this as a hobby and do it for fun with a tiny profit which doesn't pay for batteries so it isn't really a profit at all.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

savant365 said:
LSMorgan said:
Touche my friend, touche! icon_flamethrow.gif
LSMorgan said:
I lost interest in keeping company with your sort long ago, so it's not something I have to bother dealing with.
Yet here you are, in all your nobility, consorting with the likes of those whom so profusely rank amongst the insects crawling at your feet. How very common of you.

Attachments

• icon_flamethrow.gif
    icon_flamethrow.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,050

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DirtAngler said:
Why aren't you a member of lostmystuff.net? If you are not yet a member of this group, please join now and help promote a good side of our metal detecting hobby.

For 3 reasons:
1: I don't have unlimited resources so driving 2 hours away to look for a ring costs gas $ I don't have, so requesting minor compensation is not wrong.

2: Metal detecting is a skill and not everybody can do it. For the same reason people pay a mechanic or a plumber, metal detecting skills have value and there is nothing wrong with asking for a meager compensation. Always working for free risks devaluing that skill.

3: You are returning something of great value to someone, and that merits a small reward on the finder's part.

If I happen to be at a location and someone comes up to me and asks me to find something, I would never ask for compensation. I also wouldn't refuse a reward if offered. If someone specifically calls me to look for an item and it takes my time and skill, I would at least expect some expenses covered. The rules of this group clearly state that ANY compensation must be refused. That's why I am not a member!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

dbsmokey said:
DirtAngler said:
Why aren't you a member of lostmystuff.net? If you are not yet a member of this group, please join now and help promote a good side of our metal detecting hobby.

For 3 reasons:
1: I don't have unlimited resources so driving 2 hours away to look for a ring costs gas $ I don't have, so requesting minor compensation is not wrong.

2: Metal detecting is a skill an not everybody can do it. For the same reason people pay a mechanic or a plumber, metal detecting skills have value and there is nothing wrong with asking for a meager compensation. Always working for free risks devaluing that skill.

3: You are returning something of great value to someone, and that merits a small reward on the finders part.

If I happen to be at a location and someone comes up to me and asks me to find something, I would never ask for compensation. I also wouldn't refuse a reward if offered. If someone specifically calls me to look for an item and it takes my time and skill, I would at least expect some expenses covered. The rules of this group clearly state that ANY compensation must be refused. That's why I am not a member!!
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman said:
I imagine Tnet also has many enemies from other dirtbag forums that have an ax to grind.

I manage a group of detectorist that cleans the county beaches of all metal, paper, cig butts, plain old paper trash from the swim beaches. They do it for fun but get to keep anything that isn't reported as lost after the legal requirements are met. If someone reports a loss I will send someone or the whole group to look for the item. They do this because they want too and I get them into places where metal detecting is not allowed like private subdivision beaches. Our pay is the thought that we are providing a service and get to keep all the coins we can find. Some of these beach clean ups pay us just like you contract for lawn mowing or snow removal. If I am called about a lost item at a state park, we charge a deposit of $50, to keep the, "Watch the nerds look for something that isn't there," out of it.

Are we "Goodie Two Shoes?" of course not. We mostly don't except the $50 bucks, we just enjoy the challange of looking for a certain item with out the thought of wasting our time. If a reward is offered it is up to the finder if he accepts it..... Plus we also find items that aren't reported as lost which we have the option of keeping or looking for the "loser" as it where. We look at this as a hobby and do it for fun with a tiny profit which doesn't pay for batteries so it isn't really a profit at all.
Yes Sandman i do help clean up the beachs here and pick up clutter in the tot lots...... I know i am not a goodie two shoes but i try to keep it clean here on the fourm.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

@savan..... I think youre one he@@ of a man! You obviously have great integrity & a sense of humbleness that makes you genuine! And that's a wonderful quality that *boys* from my generation seem to lack....not all...but most, & it's embarrassing! You keep you're head up, & know that lifes misfortunes have only contributed to the one of a kind you are now!

& Kep, you tell them my man!!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh....keep it to yourself....not interested!!

[mod] Martha.jpg Calm it down in here!![/mod]​

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deathhare said:
Wow. Some real selfish sounding people in here.

:icon_thumleft:

To think that everyone would have the same opinion on every topic is ludicrous.... We should listen to what each other think and maybe agree or disagree but we probably could do without name calling and belittling each other. :icon_pirat:

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry guys (moderators)......once again.....let's all agree to disagree :thumbsup:

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That works for me. :happy3:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

savant365 said:
There are many circumstances that prevent people from being financially capable other than their "choices in life". You should consider yourself very lucky that you can have such high standards that you think that your choices have decided your fortune. One small incident can change your life beyond anything you can even imagine. I used to work 40+ hours a week, I had a decent job and a family. One slip on the ice and one head trauma later I'm not the man I used to be. If you want to sit and judge everyone by your breaks in life life well good for you.

Personal choices, life decisions and individual mindset are the single more accurate predictor of success- even more than raw intelligence. Show me a man who has a 'certain mentality', I'll show you a man who either won't achieve much in this life or one who will, depending on that mentality. Associated with ones mentality are all kinds of implications.

For example, you will rarely meet a successful person who keeps their home as a pigsty. Keeping ones home neat doesn't presuppose success, but the mentality associated with voluntarily living in squalid conditions implies 'certain things' about how one chooses to lead their life that doesn't line up with achieving success down the line. You can go into the ghettos and trailer parks of the world and find groups of people who may be very different, yet have a lot in common.

Anyway, the point being, show me a man who would find property where the owner can be identified yet chooses to keep that property rather than return it, that implies A LOT about that man, his mentality, his integrity, etc... and from that, you'll be able to accurately predict a lot about the rest of that mans life, too.

If my not being the sort of person who would keep property in a situation where the owner can be identified means I have a 'halo' or living on an ivory tower in the eyes of those who are that way, I'm totally cool with that. If you were dealt a raw hand in life, OK. That happens, it's tragic, but it's worth being honest about the fact that essentially everyone who has arrived at a bad place in life as a direct result of their own bad decisions and/or ugly mentality is likewise quite convinced that they were dealt a 'bad hand', too.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LSMorgan said:
Personal choices, life decisions and individual mindset are the single more accurate predictor of success- even more than raw intelligence. Show me a man who has a 'certain mentality', I'll show you a man who either won't achieve much in this life or one who will, depending on that mentality. Associated with ones mentality are all kinds of implications.

For example, you will rarely meet a successful person who keeps their home as a pigsty. Keeping ones home neat doesn't presuppose success, but the mentality associated with voluntarily living in squalid conditions implies 'certain things' about how one chooses to lead their life that doesn't line up with achieving success down the line. You can go into the ghettos and trailer parks of the world and find groups of people who may be very different, yet have a lot in common.

Anyway, the point being, show me a man who would find property where the owner can be identified yet chooses to keep that property rather than return it, that implies A LOT about that man, his mentality, his integrity, etc... and from that, you'll be able to accurately predict a lot about the rest of that mans life, too.

If my not being the sort of person who would keep property in a situation where the owner can be identified means I have a 'halo' or living on an ivory tower in the eyes of those who are that way, I'm totally cool with that. If you were dealt a raw hand in life, OK. That happens, it's tragic, but it's worth being honest about the fact that essentially everyone who has arrived at a bad place in life as a direct result of their own bad decisions and/or ugly mentality is likewise quite convinced that they were dealt a 'bad hand', too.

Well said LSMorgan :icon_thumleft: I believe in the old saying "What comes around goes around." Seem like every time I return something to it's owner good things happen. I returned a stainless ring and got a $100 reward in the mail. A short time later I got an 11 gram platinum to keep (my first on US soil in many years of hunting). Go figure.... Call it luck call it karma call it whatever you want but I just call it doing the right thing. Like you, I think it applies in all aspects of life. Just my opinion BTW... :icon_pirat:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

You turned the stainless in and kept the platinum .....HA Ha ...........I am done here ....""" OVER & OUT """ ... ........................... To the Moderator's ... Sorry i should have not got into this no one won......... We each have our own idea's .... And that's how it should be .... But we should be able to disagree with out filth thrown in.....

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy said:
You turned the stainless in and kept the platinum

If I could have found the owner of the platinum it would be right back where it belongs. Too bad it had no name on it. I would love to have given that one back. I find plenty to melt down. The money I receive from that ring cannot come close to enough to make up for the pain felt by the person who lost it. You're right though. We each have our own idea's .... And that's how it should be .... at least we can agree on that. :icon_pirat:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

biggmike said:
Keppy said:
You turned the stainless in and kept the platinum

If I could have found the owner of the platinum it would be right back where it belongs. Too bad it had no name on it. I would love to have given that one back. I find plenty to melt down. The money I receive from that ring cannot be close to enough to make up for the pain felt by the person who lost it. You're right though. We each have our own idea's .... And that's how it should be .... at least we can agree on that. :icon_pirat:
:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread