What's new

Why do i always end up with a pocket full o flint when i get home?

chong2

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
2,041
Reaction score
141
Golden Thread
0
Location
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Nothing special, flakes , chips, whatnot. Funny thing is when i first head out i say im not going too, but every time, every time, i have a pocket full........... :icon_scratch:

This happen to anyone else?
 
Upvote 0
My daughter loves to clean the stuff when I bring it home. We try to find any kind of work or usage. Not sure what to do with all of it though.
 
Hey Chong--Me and the girls finally took a picture of all our "flint"--I think I'm gonna have to get a bigger bowl (or maybe take it outside). My husband always asks me "Why are you picking up those rocks?!?!", he just doesn't UNDERSTAND! ;D
Cool post!
Anyways-here's the pics~~~~regards, sandcreek
 

Attachments

  • P1060614.webp
    P1060614.webp
    63.8 KB · Views: 440
  • P1060616.webp
    P1060616.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 447
chong2 said:
ya, lets see some pics
shaf, i think my wife understands where ur wife is coming from, cause when i get home, my stuff ends up on the counter for days, then i get to cleaning, and leave it out a few more days, then i bagem up :D im just so pooped when i get back from a hunt.
I DONT LEAVE ANY THING ON THE COUNTER ANY MORE MY WIFE STARTED DUMPING EVERY THING IN MY CASE OR THROWING IT ACROSS THE DIRT ROAD I LIVE ON I DIDNT CATCH ON TO THAT TILL I FOUND THE SAME POINTS TWICE ONCE AT MY SITE AND ONCE IN MY DITCH . SHE IS ALL BETTER NOW THAT SHE GO`S WITH ME AND FINDS HER OWN
 
Chong2
Here is where I hide my morters and pestles in the rock garden. Sandcreek has a nice platter full.
Later
TnMountains
 

Attachments

  • 100_1295.webp
    100_1295.webp
    127.2 KB · Views: 439
thirty7 said:
I know what you mean, I usually come back a couple pounds heavier. Picking up every little piece is a good habit imo, makes good material study and might distract your competition. After I get back to the truck, I'll give it one more look for possible flake tools then throw the pile into the middle of the creek.

Yea I agree, I like to pick up all kinds of flakes and wastage, it gives me a good idea on what to look for in tools. I just think it is cool how different areas produce different colors and qualities of flint and chert, some of the flint ridge pieces are just gorgeous.

Steve
 
chong2
Got a photo of your chips. Some of what you have found, them chips may be interesting. Let us see em please.
 
I would be so happy with a bowlful of flint! That's part of my purpose, only I think I will need bowls for pebbles, fossils, shells, and anything else I drag home. I'm just starting, but I can see the future appearance of my front porch and garden. A co-worker has a 10-gal. jar ful of flint flakes in her livingroom, as well as frames on the wall, she's my inspiration.

ng
 
I think the simple answer here is, because you're an artifact hunter. lol. Heres a table full of flakes, brokes, heartbreakers, etc. some of the larger stone tools are whole and in good shape.
 

Attachments

  • phpH2x2lgPM.webp
    phpH2x2lgPM.webp
    66.8 KB · Views: 378
  • phpavzKRcPM.webp
    phpavzKRcPM.webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 383
tryin to catch up on my unread replies. lol.
i spy a bass fisherman in the bottom pics, and is that a broken bannerstone/gorget with the other brokes???
so i started thinking to my self, i wont keep anything other than i would put in my display cases................... pfft didnt work that way once again :) at least im studying them now and seeing how the flakes were striked , the more i learn the more i go back to my first flakes i picked up and look them over again
 
chong2 said:
tryin to catch up on my unread replies. lol.
i spy a bass fisherman in the bottom pics, and is that a broken bannerstone/gorget with the other brokes???
so i started thinking to my self, i wont keep anything other than i would put in my display cases................... pfft didnt work that way once again :) at least im studying them now and seeing how the flakes were striked , the more i learn the more i go back to my first flakes i picked up and look them over again

Good eye, there's a spinnerbait and a rapala in the mix. Glad you brought this one back I was wondering where I left my discoidal, sweeet. Yeah I found that heartbreaker gorget early last year, I've since moved it to a more appropriate location. I like this thread, looking at peoples brokes and how they choose to display them is interesting imo. I'll take some more pics and add to it tomorrow.
 
Chong,

It took me a couple years to quit bringing home the pockets full of flint chips, but I always bring home anything broken. I have heard of people leaving broken stuff and only bringing home complete artifacts.Thats not for me. There are days here when I am happy to just find a broken point. I am a collecter at heart , so I find myself bringing all sorts of things home. I dig and collect old bottles and find myself bringing home bottles and jars that I do nothing with. Haul them home and hide them in a box in the basement. Drives my wife crazy!! I started taking some of my jars out of the basement and using them to hold broken points. Now the stuff that would not have been displayed work well together to make a nice display. I have a couple boxes still hiding in the basement somewhere :dontknow:. Maybe my wife will find them for me! :tongue3:

Twig.
 

Attachments

  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    48.3 KB · Views: 269
I like seeing all the brokes from the hunts :thumbsup:
 
Goes with the territory. It's better to pick them up anways, otherwise you would be constantly picking up the same peices of ole flint everytime you hunt there.
I used to collect all the Rhyolite up & leave it at the end of the crop field. My reason is because when I left the state, other hunters could see there is artifacts there...

You see I was a newbie once, I found all the tell tail signs of my hunting spot being an old campsite. So i figured, if I move everything it would destroy the scene, bit like a crime scene. lol.

So i leave debrie n such for others to find. ( aint no points there though, I got um ALL)..lol.

Molly.
 
Molly said:
Goes with the territory. It's better to pick them up anways, otherwise you would be constantly picking up the same peices of ole flint everytime you hunt there.
I used to collect all the Rhyolite up & leave it at the end of the crop field. My reason is because when I left the state, other hunters could see there is artifacts there...

You see I was a newbie once, I found all the tell tail signs of my hunting spot being an old campsite. So i figured, if I move everything it would destroy the scene, bit like a crime scene. lol.

So i leave debrie n such for others to find. ( aint no points there though, I got um ALL)..lol.

Molly.

Wow, you're too kind. I wish all headhunters were that way.Competition on fields can be fierce around here.
 
I have two flower beds about 4x6 each. with about 3 inches deep full of flakes.

Truse me I know
 
sidmind said:
I have two flower beds about 4x6 each. with about 3 inches deep full of flakes.

Truse me I know
I pick um up to keep folks from knowing about the place im hunting.. :icon_thumleft:
 
TN, i missed your picture!!!!! thats awesome what you did, still you should make those things for later people, i mean after all they are still artifacts..... i would live to make a pond or do something like that as well, AWESOME!!!!!!! Molly, actually i have picked one site clean of flint, so now when it rains or winds its much easier picking, and you have a heart, im greedy unfortunately:P and sid, i was thinking of setting up a 55 gal tank with flakes since there is such a variety found here in the desert, i would have to stick to surface fish only so they dont get chopped up. i like this thread, it should pop up from time to time
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom