Why Has Tnet Traffic Slowed Down So Much?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll add my $0.02 to the discussion, since I think the original question is a good one:
- As others have mentioned, there are many other sites competing for peoples' time and attention. I personally don't post other places, but I do watch metal detecting videos on YouTube (more on that in a moment).
- I'm not sure, but I wonder if there's less to be found out there (I'm sure some will argue "there's always more", but if we're realistic then we have to acknowledge that every year there's less and less silver in the ground to be found.)

- I've personally slowed down my posts because I'm just not out detecting as much any more. Why?
  • I moved from NJ to Delaware last year. Even though Delaware's got lots of history ("First State"), it's much tougher to get permissions and where I do get permission they've been detected many times. (I don't beach detect much.)
  • I had a few "friends" in the hobby leave me out of some good opportunities, which upset me.
  • If I'm honest, I have to admit that I've become frustrated with the hobby of metal detecting. The "frustration" comes from a lack of trust in what people create videos about on YouTube, and even what people post about. I don't have any specific references in mind, but I've come to feel that it seems really unlikely that certain YouTube personalities can continue to find amazing stuff every week like they supposedly do. At my peak I was detecting every weekend for many hours in historic locations, but my results were very different from similar hunts by folks who happened to have GoPros running. I started to question, and started to decide to spend my time doing other things.
  • I've picked up an old hobby from when I was younger: photography. I'm finding it very rewarding.
lol.....I'm big into photography too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I know I had it years ago. The. I had to get some kinda tap talk to use it then that even disappeared
The TreasureNet app was no longer supported by developer.

Tapatalk was sold to different company and no longer worked properly, dozens of forums if not hundreds stop using Tapatalk because of issues with its performance, forum members would blame forums when it was really Tapatalk that was down or not working properly. Try using your cell as a pc.

Last edited:

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I read all the comments and "liked" or "winnered" many of them because they resonated with me. I really like this site, check it often, make comments sometimes and post occasionally. I've gotten to the age where my body does not permit much detecting but I do a little and really enjoy seeing what others are finding and help ID some of them.

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
For me I tend to lurk around but say little, I post when I have something I wish to share and the rest of the time I just read. I personally have a concern about sharing on social media, even a site like this. I know there may be folks out there who keep a finger on the pulse of a place like this, folks who might have beef with relic hunters, I don't wanna contribute to some bum attitudes from ivory tower archies. I respect and love archeology, I wish I could devote more energy to actual archeological procedure and technique but that requires more resources than I can presently muster so I do my best. I read, I read some more and I realize not everyone is favorably inclined towards people who collect relics so I'm careful in what I share or talk about, I just don't wanna draw the wrong sort of attention. Maybe not all folks need access to elements in my personal life. Ya know?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havent noticed much drop off in The Random Chat Thread... most days anyways.
Slow days equate to just those that are also very busy elsewhere in life.
Like me. ... heh

JKicker

Jul 10, 2017
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Minelab X Terra 705
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the people who don't use facebook, you'll never know what you're missing. I love Tnet but FB has so many pages devoted to other things, it makes it a resource that's hard to beat (one stop shopping so to speak for many different hobbies). And, you don't have to post anything on FB to use those pages.

Before Tnet, what was the method to share treasure related info and finds? What did Tnet replace or improve? When I discovered Tnet many years ago, I was amazed because other than a few magazines and a few shows, there wasn't a place to share.

I think most of the younger generation will gravitate away from forums like this and I think that's a shame. Its kind of a generation divide.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP DÄ“us II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before Tnet, what was the method to share treasure related info and finds? What did Tnet replace or improve?
Usenet (a.k.a. the wild west of the internet), then google groups, then a transition (back) to "forums"--similar to the old Bulletin Board Systems (BBS) we ran on everything from Atari 2600s to C-64s to PCs in the early 80s.

I think most of the younger generation will gravitate away from forums like this and I think that's a shame. Its kind of a generation divide.
Isn't it always?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are several Native American artifact groups on Facebook, many focused on specific geographic regions. And they are enjoyable. I frequent a Northeast/ New England artifact group on Facebook, more so than the forums.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several Native American artifact groups on Facebook, many focused on specific geographic regions. And they are enjoyable. I frequent a Northeast/ New England artifact group on Facebook, more so than the forums.
Problem I have seen is many Facebook artifact pages have too many natural rocks and so called potable rock art posted as actual real artifacts, it is misleading to new hunters, and when you point it out you are accused of not knowing real artifacts.

Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detected for many years, probably about 35 years. I found so many cool things. Things that would make your head spin! Somethings would make you act like you have won the lottery! Then you find out later on this thread that all the EXPERTS here play it down to “ it’s not rare or it not in good shape to I’ve seen 100 of them and it’s not the one”. And that’s why I am still a member! Because of the Experts here!
I have learned so much from these Experts.
Condition and rarity are the thing you must consider. Has anyone actually Hit the Lottery of metal detector finds? Perhaps a few.
Been on this thread since 2012.
So for me, most of or all of my stuff isn’t worth much of anything. It is so much fun trying though!
I ask that if you comment on a cool
Piece, make the finder feel Blessed.
That in itself will help with TNET traffic!
And don’t forget “Last comment wins”
Fly

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have 132,500 likes... Thanks for the "traffic" !!!

laughing11.gif

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
personally I do not think it is any particular reason with treasure net. It pretty much same as it always been. I joined 19 years ago. And have been on and of as life gets in the way. I had seen many old regulars come and go. Forgetting old man time catches up with us.

As with all forums on the internet there has been a steady decline. My guess many original posters have been dying off or have too many health issues to post. Others joined as fad and then lost interest or life gets in the way.

My guess the majority here are older pushing retirement or near retirement. All part of baby boomer generation that are Slowly dying off.

Facebook and other groups you tube etc has had an impact. as demographics change. Some topics you can only talk so much about that is becoming flogged to death. Even you tube is being flogged to death with want to be film makers. Some make good stuff but a lot of its crap to.

Just like Forums you have saints and sinners and everything in between. All other treasure forums have withered and died.

Treasurenet night be slower these days but it still here. And still the the place to go to for treasure related topics.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread