Why have number of posts declined recently?

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this was mentioned in another thread as well, but I've noticed that the number of posts here have pretty much fallen off a cliff in the last couple weeks.

I'm speculating that it may because of one or a combination of these reasons:

A. Nobody is finding anything worth posting about.
B. Too many unknown new members/Old members are leaving.
C. Don't like the new site since it was changed over.
D. Since silver seems to be drying up, don't want to encourage new people from joining the search.

I'm not saying I support or believe in any of these, just that they may be possibilities. Anybody else feel the same way or have any other possibilities?

Upvote 0

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
People don't like change, once people get used to the new site they'll post again (hopefully).

But I do agree with previous posters, it does seem to take more time to load pages up both on computer and mobile device.

Time will tell.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
There used to be the 4 guests to 1 member ratio... lately i've been seeing the 1 member to 20 guest ratio... a reason I do not post my finds anymore. (not that there is anything worthy of being posted, ha!)

Buff
I think there are lots of guests because people are not logged in- I know I have been reading but was not 'staying logged in' so I would only sign back in when I posted. I was probably a guest at that point-
N8

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate this senseless new layout/format, I can't find a damned thing and I am not about to waste time looking. This site takes two to three times as long to load.... IF it loads the page I click, I don't have time for this.

I just checked back today to see if they had fixed this site so things can be found, but it is still out of whack. I already found two other forums where I can post my finds, silver, silver necklace, 1875-s 20 cent piece, 1911 V nickle, solid silver pin, clad, etc, and those sites are immensely easier to navigate and don't require erasing quotes of the previous poster to reply.

I only signed in today to reply to your post. If I could find something to click on to delete my account, I would. I deleted the avatar and all information and decided it doesn't matter if the account is deleted if I don't post. I will check back in a week to see improvements, I haven't seen any yet.

I liked the other format, this one I hate, and that is that, I don't own the site, nor do I run it, so all I have left to give is two-cents of opinion.

You can use firefox or chrome. Pages then load as fast as before.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I really dislike the new site. It seems hellishly slow even though the computer I use is a Piece of C*** I believe in the old addage if it isnt broke dont fix it. The old site was much better also using GMT is not helping

In your settings, you can change the time zone to Pacific or which ever one you want. I know you had Pacific because previous time adjustments were bassed on forum time (0 -Pacific +3- Eastern). Now, it kept the adjustment (0 for you) and made it from GMT. (mine was GMT +4).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the time of this posting, there were 12 members who were viewing the CRH'ing forum and 75 guests. It has led to more competition. 2 years ago, I would cull $30 face on a bad week. It is hard to get excited for others who are so proud of their 3 40%'ers. Also, like Treasure Hunter mentioned, the weather is getting nicer. I disagree with his premise that the posting will pick up. More likely that it will decrease as we have more things to do with our limited free time.

DD, the reason I said posts will pick up is there will be more people out hunting as the weather warms up, more finds means more posts......I have seen this same kind of thread in the past before the format change about the posting slowing down, and when I checked the stats average for a year they were still with in line..... I no longer have access to the old stats, they were lost in the conversion and it is too soon to have stats on the new format....

I am sure the stats are down some because of the format change and people getting use to it, but personally I believe the stats and postings will go back up as people get use to the site..... They are still making changes, I have made some suggestions as well.......

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
At the time of this posting, there were 12 members who were viewing the CRH'ing forum and 75 guests. It has led to more competition. 2 years ago, I would cull $30 face on a bad week. It is hard to get excited for others who are so proud of their 3 40%'ers. Also, like Treasure Hunter mentioned, the weather is getting nicer. I disagree with his premise that the posting will pick up. More likely that it will decrease as we have more things to do with our limited free time.

DD, the reason I said posts will pick up is there will be more people out hunting as the weather warms up, more finds means more posts......I have seen this same kind of thread in the past before the format change about the posting slowing down, and when I checked the stats average for a year they were still with in line..... I no longer have access to the old stats, they were lost in the conversion and it is too soon to have stats on the new format....

I am sure the stats are down some because of the format change and people getting use to it, but personally I believe the stats and postings will go back up as people get use to the site..... They are still making changes, I have made some suggestions as well.......

We saw the same kind of stats when we did format changes @ the pcmech.com forums. Things will return.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

I can see your point - a direct cause and effect. In my case, with the weather warming up, I prefer to be on the beach as much as possible. The other day, I pulled a whopping 8 cents from the sand, but the sights of nature is priceless. I love spring break.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can see your point - a direct cause and effect. In my case, with the weather warming up, I prefer to be on the beach as much as possible. The other day, I pulled a whopping 8 cents from the sand, but the sights of nature is priceless. I love spring break.

Know what you mean, you have to be careful or you will get eye strain........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right at this moment....

125 members and 1,237 guests online.......... 10 guests for ever member online...

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the new layout much more than the old. Sure there are some tweaks that could be done to fix a few things but over all I have few complaints. Site loads fast for me, if its not loading fast for you, you might have a slow computer and slow connection.

OP
OP
coincrawlin

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the comments. I find it interesting that most are mentioning a lack of fondness for the new site. I know I am still learning to get familiar with it, but I can't say I dislike it. It even seems to be slightly faster for me. The nice weather may have something to do with it as more people spend time outdoors.

I used to be able to go onto this site a couple times a day and find new posts about others finds or lack of finds. I think that is what I miss the most.

For what it's worth, I usually don't log in when I'm just browsing. Anyway, hope things pick up a little.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
There used to be the 4 guests to 1 member ratio... lately i've been seeing the 1 member to 20 guest ratio... a reason I do not post my finds anymore. (not that there is anything worthy of being posted, ha!)

Buff
I think there are lots of guests because people are not logged in- I know I have been reading but was not 'staying logged in' so I would only sign back in when I posted. I was probably a guest at that point-
N8

I agree. I am a member and I read the post most days, but I do not log in unless I want to send a message. A lot of the "guests" are probably members. Uner the old system, it may have kept you logged in longer than the new one - I recall there was an "always keep me logged in" option.

It may be me, but I am finding it a lot easier to use the site now than when we first switched over. I think some of the little glitches have been taken care of.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I think a lot of us are kind of cranky because finds are down.

Who knows....maybe there was so much talk about carriers culling silver that they got the idea from us !

The Old timers have mostly taken off, Newcomers mean more competition, and a lot of others don't like the site.

But I still love it because it's free and because I've met some fine folks here.

Hope y'all don't go away, because I'm gonna

Keep on Rollin' !

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Iā€™ll accept Iā€™m called an ā€˜oldtimerā€™ on TN. This ā€˜old timerā€™ realizes that without change there is no progress. And change sometimes involves resistance to that change, expressed in many ways. I have no doubt that the new owners of TN put a lot of research into what this new TN will beā€”and how it will operate. Many users are too reactive and others are too lazy to learn about the change--and just ā€˜BMWā€™ (bitXX, moan and whine).

Given a chance and some time to work out the kinksā€”like any changeā€”can produce better results once the changes are in place and tested. I believe that is where the owners are now; making adjustments based on member's CONSTRUCTIVE comments. Iā€™m beginning to see those results and they are an improvement.
I also believe if the owners see a change as not working, they will correct it; patience lads.
Donā€¦.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are still looking at ways to make more improvements.......

cdickrun644

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the switch over to the new format, I was unable to log in with my old sign in name. I requested a new password, but never got an e-mail from T-Net.
So for me, it was a combo of that and fewer finds......now up to 10 skunks in a row!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should allow the chat room to be open to Bronze, silver, gold members, and charter members just like the old TNET. Now, the chat room is only for charter members. I disagree 100%, those who have the time and dedication to this thread to post 1,000+ times should also have the rights to the chat room. This is my 2 wheat cents.
Buff
We are still looking at ways to make more improvements.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread