Why I carry a Pre-Civil War Silver 1844 Seated Liberty Quarter with me

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry an 1844 U.S. silver Seated Quarter that I found 3/27/2015 with a metal detector in Georgia. It is a typical coin that would have been carried by a Union or even a Confederate Soldier during the Civil War 1861-1865. And in the beginning also how the Soldiers were paid & been carrying, before they started paying in the "fiat" paper currency, and history tells us, which many soldiers didn't like the paper & didn't trust (for some of us Life doesn't change).

An enlisted Union soldier would have been paid about 50-cents a day ($13 a month), and would have been paid & been carrying $1 Seated Dollars, 50-cent Seated Halfs & Seated quarters & dimes. And an Officer, 1st & 2nd Lieutenant was paid a little over $25 a week ($105.50 per month) and paid usually in a combination of Gold coins, $20-$10-$5 and even $2.50 & $1.00 gold coins in circulation at that time. Officers liked GOLD.

In the Union infantry and artillery, officer's pay was as follows, at the start of the war: Colonels, $212; Lieutenant Colonels, $181; Majors, $169; Captains, $115.50; and Lieutenants, $105.50 as mentioned above. Other line and staff officers drew an average of about $15 per month more. Pay for one, two, and three star Generals was $315, $457, and $758, respectively.

The Confederate pay structure was modeled after that of the US Army. Privates continued to be paid at the prewar rate of $11 per month until June '64, when the pay of all enlisted men was raised $7 per month. Confederate officer's pay was a few dollars lower than that of the their Union counterparts. A Southern BG for example, drew $301 instead of $315 per month; Confederate Colonels of the infantry received $195, and those of artillery, engineers, and cavalry was $210.

YES, my silver pocket piece reminds me of a lot of HISTORY and the hobby of Numismatics (coin collecting) which I love. Here is a link below & picture of my coin and information how I found it:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ter-found-today-brief-hunt-my-whites-mx5.html

Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug several seated coins - Half dimes and dimes but never a quarter. That's a nice one!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This would be a Great Good Luck Charm to digging more History. Great find for sure.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the soldiers carried all these coins, why are coins so scarce on Civil War sites? Gary

I think the Sutlers got most of them. I have personally dug 3 silvers and a IH(62') in one small field at Antietam.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Sutlers got most of them. I have personally dug 3 silvers and a IH(62') in one small field at Antietam.

HaHa! That makes sense. Even though you're far from anywhere and in a war, there is someone standing there willing to sell you something and take your money! Gary

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ToddsPoint asked:
> If the soldiers carried all these coins, why are coins so scarce on Civil War sites?

Today, coins have so little value that many Americans don't bother to stop and pick up one they dropped. But at the time of the civil war, even a penny would buy far-far more than it does today. Also, as wlb42 mentioned, a yankee Enlisted-man's daily pay was 43 cents. So, a dime represented about 6 hours' pay. If you lost your wallet with 6 hours cash pay in it, how much effort would you put into hunting for it? Thus, coins are scarce on civil war sites because a soldier viewed even a lost silver 3-cent coin as a serious chunk of money. I should mention, there's a Bible verse which tells about a woman who has lost a coin, lights a lamp to search for it in the dark, and "rejoices" when she finds it. As I said, in the past a coin would buy far-far more than one does today, so people would put a great deal of effort into hunting for one they dropped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread