Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I'd share what I posted from another thread....might help those who are contemplating scoops. If you can try different angled scoop mounts then so much the better.

Personal preference really...both my Stealthscoops have the 90 degreee tube mount. I tried the 20 degree angle scoops and found it didn't suit me....handle is initially too close to my body when digging. I dig by holding the scoop with an outstreteched straight arm and then plant the toe of the scoop into the sand...I then have plenty of pulling leverage towards my body......can't go too far wrong with either.

The 90 degree mount allows effortless sifting when the scoop is still on the seafloor so unless I am in heavy shells, the scoop is usually empty of any sand by the time it breaks the surface. An offset 20 degree mount puts a lot more stress on the hand and wrist when doing this procedure.

I hope this helps prospective buyers make the best choice for them....

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the 720i at 20 degrees and it seems perfect for my beach and water detecting. Love Chuck' products.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try it with any scoop that doesnt have a point. I think you will find it to be a real pain..... they will roll and you. You loose at least a couple of feet out there deep and thats targets others will get to dig. They do hold a target in the basket a little better. Scoops have really come a long way.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really think that scoop handle angle is a strong personal preference and urge anyone new to scoops to try each angle if at all possible. And if not possible, make some kind of mock-up, even out of cardboard+broomhandle to see how they feel to your individual tastes.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I really think that scoop handle angle is a strong personal preference and urge anyone new to scoops to try each angle if at all possible. And if not possible, make some kind of mock-up, even out of cardboard+broomhandle to see how they feel to your individual tastes.

I agree, I hunt the deeper water so if I had a 90 I would have a mouth full of water trying not to dig over the targets.

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah, that's where mask and snorkel come in handy....
I agree, I hunt the deeper water so if I had a 90 I would have a mouth full of water trying not to dig over the targets.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By mounting a lift assist high on the handle of a 90 degree angle scoop facing you, you have created a variable angle scoop.
With a little practice, you have the advantage of using a 20 degree angle scoop in deeper water, or the advantage of faster sifting with a 90 degree angle scoop in
shallower water, by hoping it up in small steps in shallower water.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
ah, that's where mask and snorkel come in handy....

20171101_142730.jpg

Geronimo_

Oct 14, 2013
Aquitaine
Detector(s) used
Excal2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
86.3.jpg

angle.jpg

angle2.jpg

At the beginning, I was using 90° handle. So difficult to dig the target. You arm has to be tight, in front of you. It's a real strange position....
Now, I am using more or less 75°. Perhaps, if I was using mask and tuba, I will need 60° ? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we can all agree....use what fits you best.....there is no right or wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread