What's new

Why Is This Discussion Titled Beach And Shallow Water?

Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
315
Reaction score
147
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:icon_pirat: I just wonder why the forum has this listed as "beach and shallow water" when in reality everyone is in the water with higher priced machines. I would estimate that 9 1/2 out of 10 times the finds posted here are from the water. The other 1/2 percent of the time dry sand hunters are finding nothing more than clad and beach trash.
Now, grant it I'm sure someone would say it's called "beach and shallow water" because good finds are also hunted in the wet sand areas. I know there are great finds there as well because that too involves the water and objects are washed into the wet sand. Here again, it takes a higher end machine to deal with the wet sandy areas. Does anyone really ever find anything worth posting in the dry sand with the exception of clad which is always a good thing (it's money right? it's gotta be good).
Just interested in the honest answers as to experiences in finding goodies in dry sand? Not asking for locations, etc. Also, it seems that everyone that mentions their tools of the trade automatically have the top of the line machines or close to it. Now I know not everyone and their brother and sister can afford to start of with the 1,000 - 1,500 dollar machines? It just makes me curious sometimes if their is anyone out there hunting to and fro with a mediocre machine just enjoying the hobby anymore, or is it a high dollar competition to see who can find the most loot the fastest. Not that I am opposed to finding that either. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Both below were found in dry sand.

Bracelet and charm are 925 and the ring is 14k with diamond chips and tourmaline.

I use a Bounty Hunter Land Star and I can hunt wet sand just fine. I personally prefer the dry sand.
 

Attachments

  • firstsilver.webp
    firstsilver.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 590
  • ring1.webp
    ring1.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 588
  • firstsilver.webp
    firstsilver.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 580
  • ring1.webp
    ring1.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 569
I hunt beaches and sometimes shallow water!!! dry sand So far along the River near me And have done Very well!!! I don't remember posting specificily on this section before But I love the finds Here and Make a point on a daily basis to Move from the live post to see what I might Have Missed!!! HH Chug
 
I found a 5.7g gold band last week in the dry sand as I was swinging my way to the water. I guess that would be a beach find. We had a name change a few months ago and you should have heard the complaints, everybody wanted the old name back and we got it.

In the winter when the water cools down, no sand movement, and they winter tourist are all laying on the beach, staying out of the water, I will gladly hunt the dry sand.
 
There's still numerous treasures to be found in dry sand, so don't think that all the good stuff is being found in the water. Here's some pictures from 2 outings about a week ago.... Dry sand (NOT in the wet sand).... Same beach, hunted 2 days apart... in the same 200 yard stretch of sand.

And these finds were shallow enough to be picked up by ANY detector by ANY detectorist who took the time to put their coil over these spots. One 18k, two 14k, one silver ring, and a huge silver pendant.

MetalDetecting007-1.jpg

MetalDetecting015.jpg

MetalDetecting002-3.jpg

MetalDetecting014-1.jpg

MetalDetecting004.jpg

MetalDetecting024.jpg
 
IMHO , I would not sell dry sand detecting short.

I believe that the dry sand holds an abundance of treasures, so I like to devote a portion of my detecting to the dry sand each time I go out there

Here is one of my favorite dry sand finds from last summer.

Thanks for looking

Lorraine
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0424.webp
    DSCF0424.webp
    59.3 KB · Views: 502
  • DSCF0427.webp
    DSCF0427.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 500
  • DSCF0425.webp
    DSCF0425.webp
    74.2 KB · Views: 503
A few years back I spent some time in Key West, FL for my job and most of the time without my wife, so I had to find something to do to keep me out of trouble. I got a $200 Radio Shack metal detector. I hunted dry sand almost exclusively since the wet sand made the unit false. Over the course of several months I found about $54 in clad, and the jewelry I can remember included, one 10k class ring, one 14k signet ring, one silver spinner ring. I am sure I also found a lot of junk. That was my first real experience with metal detecting. Did it make me want to go deeper and find more?? Yes, it sure did. Did I go out and buy a more expensive machine now, no, I have three more expensive machines. I wanted to get one high end detector that would be the best at everything, land and sea. I found out in a hurry that doesn't work. However, each detector I bought has paid for itself and has its advantages and disadvantages. Enjoy what you have and detect where you can with what you have. When you find the first really nice find, you will want more. Go have fun. HH, Ralph
 
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT said:
:icon_pirat: I just wonder why the forum has this listed as "beach and shallow water" when in reality everyone is in the water with higher priced machines. I would estimate that 9 1/2 out of 10 times the finds posted here are from the water. The other 1/2 percent of the time dry sand hunters are finding nothing more than clad and beach trash...

Interesting post/rant LAGDI :headbang: I think it is the perfect title. Whether you hunt the water up to your chest with a $600 Sand Shark, or the dry sand on the beach with a $200 Ace 250, you have the SAME shot - in reality, of scoring some major bling. That is the REAL beauty of our hobby - to me! The more hours you spend learning your machine and honing your skills, the better you get and the more crap you find. There is no secret or magic. I LIKE being in the water, but I still come up on the beach and dig dimes at 16" when I get bored! Great Thread! :hello2: :thumbsup:
 
At one time you'd find the hunters in the sand and few in the water. Now it is probably the opposite. I hunt dry beach, wet sand, and sometimes deeper water. I make good finds in all areas. It depends on where the droppers are, what the beach looks like, what time of day it is, the tide level, or just how I feel. The more flexible you are in your equipment and ability to use it increases the odds something good will crawl into the scoop. No right or wrong way. Just personal preferences. At my club's last beach trip good finds were taken in both places but the best, a very large 18 k fancy ring, came from dry sand. No, I didn't find it. I was in the water.

Maggie
 
These 2 were found on the same day.

They were both in the dry sand and both located with a Tesoro Silver Umax w/3x18 clean sweep coil.

Tiffany 18k
001.webp

Mexico 925
002.webp
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    83.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    89.7 KB · Views: 390
There's nothing wrong about hunting the dry sand. It takes, possibly, a bit more patience but other than that it's not difficult.

I started dry sand hunting about 4 years ago and within 3 weeks had 3 rings 14K each. All found with a Bounty Hunter 3300 which cost me $130 used off of eBay. For the scoop I had a french fry basket.

Here's my first 6 rings found over about 6 weeks of daily hunting in 2007. Rings 1, 2 and 5 are 14K the rest Silver

HH Joe
 

Attachments

  • First six rings sm sm.webp
    First six rings sm sm.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 388
Whether you hunt the dry sand, wet or in the water for your fun, you need the proper tool for the job. Water hunting is best done with the more expensive detectors because they are designed for diving and rough conditions. The guys and gals that like to enjoy both dry and wet hunts need the more $$$ detectors to do it right so they aren't wasting time. See my signature below.
 
Title fits, I prefer the wetsand and water, but I also hunt the dry sand. I basically hunt from the seawall till I can't get any deeper with out using a breathing apparatus... For me, I bought a machine, actually several that gives me the ability to hunt every zone of the beach....
 
:icon_sunny: Great replies everyone. I can always expect the best answers and positive replies and answers from the folks on the TNet forum. You guys and gals rock. Me and the wife went out swinging on the dry sand this evening and found some clad, a sharks tooth (sifted in my scoop), a silver earring and lots of beach trash which some of it was interesting.
This was the first time my wife actually took a metal detector in hand and jumped in there with me which made me happy. She has gone with me a few times just walking or helping me carry something but this time she joined in the hunt. ;D Now the impressive thing is my wife is legally deaf but still went detecting without complaining and every time she swooped over a target I would direct her that she had a hit. She lit up after hitting the first target which was a quarter, she said I would love to find some jewelry but this will work too. I feel our day is coming when we get to find some bling bling :icon_pirat:.

Take Care Everyone And HH
 
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT said:
:icon_sunny: Great replies everyone. I can always expect the best answers and positive replies and answers from the folks on the TNet forum. You guys and gals rock. Me and the wife went out swinging on the dry sand this evening and found some clad, a sharks tooth (sifted in my scoop), a silver earring and lots of beach trash which some of it was interesting.
This was the first time my wife actually took a metal detector in hand and jumped in there with me which made me happy. She has gone with me a few times just walking or helping me carry something but this time she joined in the hunt. ;D Now the impressive thing is my wife is legally deaf but still went detecting without complaining and every time she swooped over a target I would direct her that she had a hit. She lit up after hitting the first target which was a quarter, she said I would love to find some jewelry but this will work too. I feel our day is coming when we get to find some bling bling :icon_pirat:.

Take Care Everyone And HH

Life,

It is nice she got to enjoy the thrill of finding something with you.....You know if you got her a used Whites Beach Hunter ID or the Beach Hunter 300 they have different colored LED lights that go with the tones so she would know when she has a target just by watching the LEDs.......Just a thought...
 
You have to walk over it to find it, and if you're the first to walk over it..and if your detector is good enough then you WILL find it! :)

The operative words there are "IF your detector is good enough..." because many people are so paranoid that they may be missing goodies with a cheap-ish detector they then upgrade to an expensive topline one. Beginners with money usually buy the best they can afford because "that's what everyone else is using" etc etc. You don't enter a "full bore" shooting competition with a BB gun do you?...kinda mentality.
Here in Sweden i'm not allowed into the sea to detect, so most of my detecting is on the dry/wet sand...i find enough gold,silver and cash to keep me happy, but yes...i was a beginner with too much money, so i do have topline detectors. :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom