why won't engineers at XP really tell us more of how settings work?

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like there is discussion going on now on this site about the effects of using silencer. Why won't XP engineers who have developed these settings tell us how they came to the conclusion of why they have these settings and how best to utilize them rather than us users trying to figure them out? Wouldn't it be in XP's best interests to help us get the most out of our machines thereby making for us to get even better results and helping promote more sales? Some guidance on each setting would certainly help and then letting us run with that info. Just sayin' XP, just sayin'. Something like what Tom D. with his fantastic write up on how he helped with the development of the Nokta Impact. C'mon XP spill the beans.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I've had mine 11 months now. It is kicking it. I still however, do not know how it works. Besides it works very well. Very well indeed.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at the silencer as a rust discriminator or a rust silencer, take a rusty washer the size of a quarter, swing over it with -1 setting and it's going to sound pretty sweet.....crank the silencer up to the max and the washer is now silenced, producing little or no tone at all.....same effect will be had with a rusty crown cap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my colonial sites, we do tend to dig some of the iron intentionally. Those trade axes are nice.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely......i also look at a high silencer setting better suited for cherry picking coins

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Theppgcowboy

Aug 15, 2017
Western Montana
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a very low hour dues owner. It seems some days, I am spot on with the tones, others all I do is hope that sound is something good. I have a great memory, but it is short. I am trying to figure out a card to guide me into how to tweak the settings. If "a" happens, the try "b,c or d". It would be nice if they would have a card that helps with that. I guess time is the best instructor, this forum is a big help too.
Oh, my place is getting to be more and more trash free the more I play with the deus.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had vferrari set in a program for the hot red Virginia dirt. Haven't tried it yet. I generally use wet sand or dry sand for the beaches, it sucks gold that way, and Deus Fast for general detecting. Found a piece of iron on top of a laid in brick foundation, 18th century, we never knew was there yesterday. Thing was down 18" or more. Dug out a few bricks and marked the spot for later. Found some small colonial stuff within 20 feet, as well as the semi precious aluminum! I am mainly using the factory modes. Reason for success is time in the field, and willingness to dig junk targets.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll fill you in on the 2 ways to find great targets while detecting
#1 - dig it all
#2- spend time in the field

that's it no magic bullet here :)

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just unboxed mine today!
I can't wait to go see that it has!

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other day I hunted my “training ground site”
This place has 4 homes in the 1930s knocked down.. now it’s a small park. I’ve pulled so much crap here it’s shocking.
I normally run deus fast with a few mods. Full tones zero descrim.

I was so sick and tired of digging rusty washers I raised the silencer to 2 and it somewhat stopped the 98-99 deep iron hits.

I’ll go back soon and keep trying it. My oldest coin from that site is 1881 IHP.— no silver so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread