What's new

Why You Can't Fix Your Own Car Anymore (The End of DIY)

Had something of the same with our 2005 Hyundai. A few years back we thought the
transmission was going, as it wouldn't stay in OD. We just kinda lived with it for about
a year, and then I decided one day that it needed a tune-up, as it hadn't had one for
some 150,000 miles.

As I pulled the plugs it was quite obvious what the issue was...the electrodes on the plugs
(2 of 'em) were completely gone..right down to the ceramic, meaning the spark plug gap
was over 1/4 inch. I have no idea how that engine was still running. Replaced the plugs,
coils and wires and it ran like new...and the tranny issue was also solved, as it was simply
trying to run as best it could on such restricted horsepower.

That little engine impressed me enough that I had no hesitation about buying another Hyundai.
I bought the Mrs a 2000 XG300 I think it was called. Their first full sized sedan, with the nice burled plood dash (plood=plastic wood)
Wife drove it trouble free for 6 years, then sold it to the new owner and he drove it for a few more then an employee had it. Probably over 12 by then and I heard it finally had a brake job.
 
All these new cars with computers and the way everything is strategically placed so you cantget to the parts. By design to have to take to dealership to fix it and spend that high dollar cost
 
All these new cars with computers and the way everything is strategically placed so you cantget to the parts. By design to have to take to dealership to fix it and spend that high dollar cost
Oh it started a while back. My truck is a 1997 model and the only way to drop the oil pan is to either remove the entire front axle (4wd), or pull the engine out of the truck. Seriously?? I remember the good old days when you could open the hood of a truck and climb up in there and sit on the fender while you worked on the carburetor.
 
Mine is 2013 frontier truck, it's paid for and I don't want another payment but it's hard to get to somethings, I can only image how the layout of a 2025 or 6 truck is now
 
Oh it started a while back. My truck is a 1997 model and the only way to drop the oil pan is to either remove the entire front axle (4wd), or pull the engine out of the truck. Seriously?? I remember the good old days when you could open the hood of a truck and climb up in there and sit on the fender while you worked on the carburetor.
#1 why drop an oil pan?
#2 my wife's car has to have the battery installed by removing the drivers side tire. WTF?
 
#1 why drop an oil pan?
Because I replaced the oil pump and wanted to replace the pickup tube and filter as well. Not to mention replacing a leaky pan gasket. But I didn't do either of those things, because I ain't pulling the motor just to drop an oil pan.

#2 my wife's car has to have the battery installed by removing the drivers side tire. WTF?
Yep. My daughter had a car like that, and my son has one with the battery hiding under the trunk. Neither is any fun to work on, and more than a little puzzling how to jump start.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom