What's new

Wide and Close AMs

buffhunter

Sr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
275
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Wide and Close AM's

A question for those of you out there that search pennies. Has anyone come across a 1992D close AM in their searches. This is the only one i am missing. anyone have an extra one?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Wide and Close AM's

Far as I know very few have been found. I'm in the same boat as you.
HH
enamel7
 
Re: Wide and Close AM's

I think less than 5-10 have ever been found/slabbed if I remember correctly. That doenst mean they are not out there but the population that is known is tiny. Hence the huge premium on them.
 
Re: Wide and Close AM's

hello, well by the sounds of it you are one of the lucky few , i really dont know the number, that own a 92 close AM. the best of luck on finding a 92d, they are out there. I dont have either of them, but endlessly look. if you are like me its the hunt that is the best part. i search around $25-100 per week in pennies, looking for wheats and errors/varieties.

so right up there with the rarity of the 92D, I hope the 1982 DDR is on your list. I was lucky enough to find the 3rd one to be discovered. It just lets me know they are out there. Now its just a matter of taking the time to find a grading co. to slab the 82 DDR

take care
 

Attachments

  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 274
Re: Wide and Close AM's

It sounds like you all are doing better than I am. The only one I have found is the 98 the rest elude me for now.
 
Re: Wide and Close AM's

I go through about 4 boxes a week, but I don't look for DDs, RPMs, OMMs, or anything of the sort simply because it would be difficult and time consuming. I see that it has paid off for atleast one of you, but I don't understand how you're eyes can take that, especially when doing large volumes. I would like to start finding some of these instead of paying for them, but I'm going to need some tips on efficient ways to search for these. Let me know your ways. :dontknow: :help: ???
 
Re: Wide and Close AM's

buffhunter said:
A question for those of you out there that search pennies. Has anyone come across a 1992D close AM in their searches. This is the only one i am missing. anyone have an extra one?

I found a 1992-D Close AM a few years ago when I was still searching pennies for errors. Now I just don't have as much time for CRH'ing so I have backed off on my error searching. Saves me about 1.5 hours/$50 of pennies...
 
Re: Wide and Close AM's

Electronova said:
I go through about 4 boxes a week, but I don't look for DDs, RPMs, OMMs, or anything of the sort simply because it would be difficult and time consuming. I see that it has paid off for atleast one of you, but I don't understand how you're eyes can take that, especially when doing large volumes. I would like to start finding some of these instead of paying for them, but I'm going to need some tips on efficient ways to search for these. Let me know your ways. :dontknow: :help: ???

Get a loupe or magnifying glass, good lighting and go to town! Its not that hard, just need to separate by dates that have possible errors. That way you don't have to look at every coin under magnification. Get the cherrypickers guide....it will help you decide which errors to hunt for.

Just my two zincolns....
 
Re: Wide and Close AM's

i cant tell the difference on the wide/regular ones....as for DDRs never really took the time to look
 
Re: Wide and Close AM's

photogame - i was lucky enough to buy a 92 cheaply along with 3 1960 d/d small dates over large dates. for what i sold the overdates for, i have relatively nothing in the 92. i do look for the 82 ddr, ever since the Feb 11, 2008 article in Coin World came out. According to the Sept 7, 2009 edition of CW, there are 15 92d close AM's known at that time.
 
Re: Wide and Close AM's

On a side note, I have been looking for the wide am's for 10 years now. Even though the redbook says the 98 is more rare, I now have over a roll of them. I have maybe half as many of the 2000 and only 1 of the 1999.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom