WIERD NICKEL? or WHAT!!!

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Found this nickel or penny or what ever it is??? Also religious medal,, some kind of fob,, a piece of rock hollowed out made of slate??thanks for lookin,,

art
center]

Attachments

• P1000050 [640x480].JPG
    P1000050 [640x480].JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,117
  • P1000051 [640x480].JPG
    P1000051 [640x480].JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,133
Upvote 0
OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
incajoe said:
Nobody here ever stacked some coins on a railroad track when they were kids? Train runs it over and VOILA! I bet you found it near a railroad line.
No,,,, it was found in a yard site,, most of the time it will elongate the coin,so i dont think it was on a track???,,thanks for lookin,,!!!

art

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
at1cad said:
As a kid, I too have made these by smashing coins together. The reversed impressions and the mixed denominations (especially) are the indications it is a homemade "error". A real brockage error is similar looking (google "brockage error" for more info)

http://www.coinfacts.com/error_coins/brockages.htm

DP BOB said:
I have made a few quarters that way....
Take a penny and a nickel, smash them in a screw press ( right amount of pressure ) and bam nickel turns into a quarter, then throw the penny out.
I still have a few left..
Vending machines love them.... ;D ;D ;D

I wonder if it's one that I made. ???
That looks very much like this coin!!! thanks for the link and info,,,,

art

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
artzstuff1 said:
oddcoins said:
In my opinion the piece does NOT look like a true mint-made error coin. A presume it was manipulated outside the US mint.

But to be certain I'd suggest taking nice close-up pictures of the obverse & reverse and e-mail the pic's to the world's leading authority on error coins ~ Fred Weinberg ~ [email protected] ~ he'd be able to tell you for sure.

http://community.webtv.net/oddcoins/NeilMcElroyspagefor
I might just do that one of these days not to worried about it really probably is not worth much any how,,,thanks for the info,,,,

art
If this coin is infact a error from the mint then it could be worth alot more then you think an would be worth your time to find out...DO NOT SELL THIS COIN TILL YOU FIND OUT IF IT IS REAL ERROR OR POST MINT ERROR MADE!!!!! Btw to get to the coin forum just scroll down home page til you see the forum for coins it's almost at the bottom of the page

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
very interesting to say the least

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread