Wife Finds First Arrowhead Accidently...

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
My wife was taking one of our lazy Bulldogs for a short walk by the creek at the farm she works at. She said she saw something gleaming like glass on one of the shoals/banks. She says "sparkling pink". When she picked it up she thought it was a fake because it looked so perfect. When I got home from work she said she had been cleaning it for 3 hours...lol. I told her it was clean enough for me to take pics of it. So here it is....Found in SW MO. Anyone know the type? I have found many but I've never really got into learning the different types. Thanks for looking!!! IMG_20171127_183638[1].jpgIMG_20171127_183655[1].jpg

Upvote 24
That’s a great find! Perfect piece! I’m looking it up right now, and from my novice experience with arrowheads, it appears to be Hickory Ridge. Middle archaic period, 5,000-7,500 years old. I’m absolutely no expert though. I’d post it in the North American artifacts thread. I’ve been helped a million times before with my pieces. Great work.

Here is the site I use to ID:
http://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/Hickory_Ridge.html

Looks like a very nice point. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows more than I do. Great score. Good luck.

That’s a great find! Perfect piece! I’m looking it up right now, and from my novice experience with arrowheads, it appears to be Hickory Ridge. Middle archaic period, 5,000-7,500 years old. I’m absolutely no expert though. I’d post it in the North American artifacts thread. I’ve been helped a million times before with my pieces. Great work.

Here is the site I use to ID:
Hickory Ridge Projectile Point
Thanks for the site Brettco!

Beautiful find, congratulations! :occasion14:

Looks like a very nice point. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows more than I do. Great score. Good luck.
I've found quite a few but not in years. This one makes me want to go hunting again...lol

That's a nice one. :thumbsup:

Holy cow! Beginner's luck strikes again (skipped me decades ago!). That is such a nice point in a beautiful stone. Maybe she'll let you display it in one of your cases. Around here it would probably type as an Osceola Greenbriar, although the tip is a little pointier than the typical OG. Any grinding in the notches and/or across the base?

Looks to be very nice Jakie to me.
Got a few in my collection too.

This was sent to me by the Arkansas Archeological Survey
21951.jpeg

Last edited:
Holy cow! Beginner's luck strikes again (skipped me decades ago!). That is such a nice point in a beautiful stone. Maybe she'll let you display it in one of your cases. Around here it would probably type as an Osceola Greenbriar, although the tip is a little pointier than the typical OG. Any grinding in the notches and/or across the base?
I don't see any evidence of grinding. It all looks knapped to me. what would the difference/significance be?

That is truly an awesome find! What a work of art and a amazing piece of history.
She will be proud. She really cleaned the Heck out of it waiting for me to get home...lol If it had been a coin it would have been a goner!

Here's the one they were identifying for me.
I found it next door in Benton County, AR

20171127_233620.jpg

I don't see any evidence of grinding. It all looks knapped to me. what would the difference/significance be?

The edges in those areas would feel dull when you rub your finger across them. A lot easier to feel grinding than to see it. The purpose of it was to prevent the sharp edges from cutting the lashing when the point was hafted.

Beautiful artifact!
HH
dts

That is a beauty ! Congrats to your wife for having the "eye" to pick that one up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back