will a 5x8 help me.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started to ask on another thread ,and guess this has be ask a million times ,but i have the AT pro and love it, probably because its the best detector i have and ever owned. but i have hunted old homesites hard and now just getting iron nail signals with the beeps and bleeps mixed in . will a 5x8 help i have the stock coil now. will this pick stuff out of the nails ?? you now the usual questions.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started to ask on another thread ,and guess this has be ask a million times ,but i have the AT pro and love it, probably because its the best detector i have and ever owned. but i have hunted old homesites hard and now just getting iron nail signals with the beeps and bleeps mixed in . will a 5x8 help i have the stock coil now. will this pick stuff out of the nails ?? you now the usual questions.

It will definitely help it gets in between those nails and pulls out the good signal that’s masked. I have one and it’s definitely an asset to my game.

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, thats what i need to hear because i got this hobby bad, i mean im in the process of building a house and dont want to go get a minelab right now LOL. i have just found my first old coin 1888 indian ,not much for some, but my pewter thimble and gardener bullet and all them buttons put me over the edge. not to mention the other site where we got my first tombacs and shoe buckles and all the other relics. just cant get enough. but you guys know how it is LOL.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my thread in regards to a similar post on this forum asking almost the same question.

I have both the AT-Pro and the AT-Max, really enjoy both machines, the Pro I have the Garrett 5 x 8 coil I have several other coil sizes, for use on the Pro, I will not use anything but the 5 x 8 on the AT. Now on the Max I was using the stock coil on it, have been trying to find the Nel sharpshooter 9.5 X 5.5 finally found someone that had the coil ordered and got it this past Friday I've only hand about hour and half hunt time this weekend due to rain but what a coil it is. I took the coil to a really trash park that I have hunted with the AT-Pro and the 5 x 8 Coil and though I had hunted the park out, not so with the Nel I found coins that I missed using the Pro and the 5 x 8 coil. Agree some of this is owed to the AT-Max but I have gone over the same park with the Max and stock coil and not found anything to speak off.

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys , it just gets confusing to me , so many detectors and so many diff coils.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 5X8 on the Pro, seldom take it off, If you buy one, you will not regret it.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here I put the 5x8 on and never went back to the stock coil.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I do the same type of detecting that you do, and the 5x8 will help you out in those iron infested locations. I think the biggest key to getting the most out of it, is swinging slow. It's hard to do I know because you want to cover as much area as you can, but you will miss alot of targets if you don't. Good Luck! I've heard alot of good things about the Nel Sharpshooter also, but never tried one.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Put a 5X8 on and you may not take it off. I thought for a long time I just couldn't cover the ground as well. Wrong. Used mind yesterday on a football field I have worn out. I will post pics later today. It seperates really well in foil, junk ground. Get one. It will be your favorite coil. And they go deeeeeep.:thumb_up:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, thats what i need to hear because i got this hobby bad, i mean im in the process of building a house and dont want to go get a minelab right now LOL. i have just found my first old coin 1888 indian ,not much for some, but my pewter thimble and gardener bullet and all them buttons put me over the edge. not to mention the other site where we got my first tombacs and shoe buckles and all the other relics. just cant get enough. but you guys know how it is LOL.

Oh yeah you got it bad it’s like a gambling addiction. 1888 IHP, thimble and gardener oh yeah you got it bad! Lol Keep swinging

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buy the 5 X 8 coil and will not be disappointed! I use the 5 x 8 on both the AT Pro and Gold without any regrets.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
20180219_091455.jpg
Used my 5X8 yesterday. Found my first silver filled tooth at the 6-7" mark. You can't go wrong with the 5X8.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with what everyone is saying about the 5 x 8 coil. Got one last year at the Minelab Bootcamp for my E-Trac and won't be taking it off any time soon. It is finding silver coins surrounded by trash. Try to slowly cover every square foot as you walk forward to some type of landmark like a tree and repeat that path by walking back to the starting point and just move left or right about five feet and do it again!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the 5X8 for my AT PRO and I love it. Just the lower weight and maneuverability is a bonus, but the ability to separate the wheat from the chaff is awesome. If you buy one I don't think you will be disappointed.

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone , you gave me the motivation to get one, its on the way and i cant wait. i guess i better say you helped convince my wife i needed one LOL.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone , you gave me the motivation to get one, its on the way and i cant wait. i guess i better say you helped convince my wife i needed one LOL.

The wife’s blessing is ALWAYS better, that way you don’t have the guilt when beating her to the mailbox.

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, it came yesterday and i had i little time to use it, i will have to get use to it , i found out i do need to slow down some. but i did go to a site i hunted 4 or 5 times hard and ended up getting a 1916 and a 1917 wheat pennys and some other stuff, and at another old house place i picked up 4 more buttons and more horse shoes. i sure cant figure the extra horse shoes out , but you guys are right it sure makes a difference.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. Got the 5x8 and never have taken it off. Found more of the good stuff since I put it on than ever before.

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My Garrett Ace came with a 8.5x 11" coil.I had done much research on the coils available for it.I had ordered a 5x8" coil for it before
my Ace even arrived in the mail.I took the stock coil and put it on ebay.Sold it as to cut the cost on the 5x8.
Why the 5X8?To get in between the trash that a bigger coil would pick up and thus good targets passed over.
I recently ordered a CORS Fire coil.15X15".I don't plan to use it much,but I have some real old sites I want to hunt.
I will need to go deep.But the 5x 8 is my baby.You need to get a 5x8" and either sell the stock or put it away.
The 5x8 will almost go as deep as your stock and you can find more in trashy areas.

Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a water detecting guy I can also add that the 5x8 is great in the water. You do not have a high resistance under the water during your swing. Also creeks and rivers with rocks it’s easier to swing over.

Cheers and good luck with your new tool.

2D12A69B-24AE-4857-98D2-F20AF95E8E6E.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread