Will a wheelchair interfere with using a metal detector?

BearMan

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am disabled and mostly wheelchair bound and have spent most of my days indoors but recently I had surgery which helped relieve some of the symptoms of my condition so am looking into finally being able to fulfill some of my dreams of being an amateur treasure hunter. I will still be wheelchair bound so I got a GRIT Freedomchair which I will link a picture of below. I was looking into getting a Harbor Freight 9 Function Metal Detector because after the cost of surgery, rehab, and the special wheelchair it is all I will be able to afford for a while. My main concern before I get a metal detector is will the metal wheelchair interfere with his it works or will I be able to use a metal detector from the wheelchair?

Picture of the GRIT Freedomchair

content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/16230028841991864437512.png

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The front tube will interfere big time.
You'll need to hold the coil well away from it and the chair frame.
If your chair is as the one I found a picture of , you'll have triangles (rainbow shaped areas) each side to swing your coil.
You'll want a way to mark a pinpointed area/target. Golf tee held on a stick with a rubber band so it will come off when stuck in the ground ,or any way to mark a spot before attempting a recovery. Assuming you'll transfer to the ground to do so.

So yes you can detect from a chair. Up to you to figure out how best.

I use an open front chair with no footrests. So coil can be swept left to right in front of me no problem/challenge.
Nothing wrong with a challenge. Patience and thought can do much.

IF your chair will have two handlevers to drive , that will interfere with swinging each side of chair. (Hitting lever mid-swing).

Find a detector to borrow ,or visit a detector shop to test drive some. That will answer much for you.

No law says you can't mount a detector on an outrigger of sorts. And move it by moving a chair.
Pinpointing and recoveries follow. With the how tailored to your abilities. Or if you have an assistant.
Warning , A kid in a park "helping" you might take off with a recovery. L.o.l..

A test drive with one , before committing to a purchase of a detector seems in order....

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T-Net, BearMan.

releventchair is correct. That test-drive, with a borrowed detector, in a park or place that you are likely to hunt, is very important.

I use a manual w-chair and it took time to get used to the interference of the footrests and other parts of my old-style chair.

But I figured out the best way to do it. It's lots of fun when you get the hang of it.

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll chime in here. I've been on two different walkers for about 8 months, one the light aluminum kind and the other one of those rolling chair types. The past year (I just finished my second hip replacement; both due to a car accident many years ago) and look forward to detecting again.

I had learned to detect from both my walkers, but toward the end, the bending to shovel was impossible and I have been chomping at the bit.

I was able to detect off both walkers, after much trial and error and it literally helped keep me sane. My heart and sentiments go out to you. As a very active and fairly healthy person, having such restrictions for so long was very difficult and I applaud anyone who works past their limitations to keep their mind and body occupied.

It is one of the best things I have ever learned to do and I wish you the best. There is always more to do after you find your treasures, wheeling around while cleaning and preserving your objects. You can do anything you want. Where there is a will, there is a way,

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet BearMan! I hope you're able to join this wonderful hobby. :icon_thumleft:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. :hello:

Metal Detecto

Jun 10, 2021
CA!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, HF9FMD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, a metal detector with be interfered by a wheelchair. It's metal, and big (human-sized) so it could detect it from 12-13 inches away.

I recommend to maybe just try wing it, and see how it goes. I like your perseverance!

Josh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread